News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Question concerning high quality color printing.

Started by LordSmerf, December 16, 2003, 07:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordSmerf

Over in the Interesting Space Dogfights thread we tossed around the idea of using computer generated graphics and shots from the Hubble (and other similar sources) as art for a published version of the game.  We don't really have any idea how expensive it is to print something at this color depth.  I'm thinking a glossy paper with photo color depth (i guess like a text book that includes color photos.)

Does anyone know anything about , or perhaps know where i can find out about the costs of using this method when printing books around 150-200 pages?

Thanks.

Thomas
Current projects: Caper, Trust and Betrayal, The Suburban Crucible

jdagna

This is really something you have to talk to a printer about.  From my own experiences, printing books like this will cost you somewhere between $100 and $2 each, depending on where and how many.  I seem to recall getting a quote on something like this at $10/book domestically (for 1000 copies) and $2.50 offshore (for 1000 copies).  Both quotes were hardcover.

By the way, in printer lingo, "photo color" is called four-color process, and glossy papers are all coated stock types, though there are degrees of gloss.  Of course, a printer will understand the questions either way.  Be sure to let printers make suggestions, since they'll sometimes be able to provide something that's close to what you want for a lot cheaper.
Justin Dagna
President, Technicraft Design.  Creator, Pax Draconis
http://www.paxdraconis.com