News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TROS: GLADIATORS

Started by Church13, September 02, 2003, 11:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Church13

a few friends and I are creating some rules, tactics and things on a "Gladiator Arena" type of a thing.  Im wondering how many of you out there like the idea of "TROS: ARENA or GLADIATOR" im hoping we're not the only ones out there with this interest.  we're almost done with it, and are starting testing soon.  if it works out well, how many of you would like to dip a finger in the pot and have a taste of it?
We aren't out numbered... we're just in a Target Rich Environment!

Brian Leybourne

Have a search through the forum (there's a search option at the top). This was *very* heavily discussed a year or so back, and you will likely find lots of ideas and thoughts there which may help you.

Just please don't post to any of those old threads. Create new ones (or use this one) and refer back to the old threads with a link if you need to.

Thanks,
Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Mike Holmes

Not only did we discuss it here, but the three of us involved actually took the discussion to another board. We did quite a bit of brainstorming, and came up with an extensive game concept. That said, we never got down to actual writing, but it's just waiting to be put together.

Lance, do you have the URL to that board anymore? I seem to have lost it.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

JESTER

This seems to me to be a great way to play TROS especially at a game convention i woudl love to play or help run somethign liek this.  It woudl be very combat focused but with some SA's thrown in and the ability to keep fighting with the same gladiator.  th fight system IMHO is the best thing about TROS and a gladiator fight game would be a great way to showcase it.

Late,
Jester
"No plan survives contact with the enemy"  -Moltke

Anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger

JESTER

The webpage and forum that this was being discussed at is now gone.  Does anyone know if the forum moved and what became of this project.  I want to start playing this with my gaming group.

Late,
Jester

Mike Holmes

The Board we were working on, or the one Church was working on? The one we were working on I've lost track of, though Lance might still have a link to it. I was never sure of where Church was doing his stuff at all.

I'm still intensely interested in this idea overall. It just seems like a tough project to finish. :-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Krammer

being in the same group as church, I've seen what he has done with his ideas, and they aren't all bad. The only problem is that his progress has literally come to a standstill. guess I should start kicking him til he finishes it.
A muppet is just a cross between a mop and a puppet.

JESTER

Any chance of gettting this stuff posted up somewhere?
It really doesn't seem like much work, unless you want it to be. :)
I was thinking more along the lines of an ongoing Gladiators campaign where players are the owners of different troops of Gladiators.  That compete once a week or so, then at the end of the season have a championship.

I have recently bought a set of gladiator rules called Habet! Hoc, Habet! to look at the campaign rules, I just wanted to use TROS for the combat system.  I am also looking at the old Avalon Hill Gladiator game for ideas.

Basically my group of gamers is too busy to get into a real role-playing game, so what I need is something that can be played for about 3 hours or so once a week, that has an ongoing aspect to it.

Later,
Jester

Swordmagnet

I'm currently working on this idea and have come across a couple of cool things. Check out www.worldworksgames.com for a downloadable cardboard arena that is pretty awesome and www.shrapnelgames.com for a soon-to-be-released PC based gladiator management sim.
Damn, sword cuts hurt!