News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Weapons and proficiencies

Started by toli, December 30, 2003, 07:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toli

I think this type of question has come up before, but I couldn't find it in the archive section...

Can I happily use a cut and thrust sword with my longsword proficiency.  Obviously only the longsword maneuvers would be available unless I defaulted to cut and thrust.

NT
NT

Brian Leybourne

It's certainly around here somewhere (been discussed before). Think of the proficiencies as being the set of maneuvers you know more than the specific weapon itself. Thus I would let someone use their longsword proficiency to swing an approximately longsword-sized club around (but the damage would be different, of course) because what they're using still feels pretty much like what they're used to.

Cut & Thrust using Longsword proficiency? Quite possibly, except that Cut & Thrust weapons are lighter and smaller than a Long Sword so I would probably enforce the default (-3 in this case) to account for the weight etc difference anyway. That's IMO, of course.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Jake Norwood

If you're using it like a longsword, than yes. That means a complex hilt will get in the way, and the shortened handle will be a problem, but yes, you can, albeit the default might be closer to the "right" way to use a C&T.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

toli

Thanks for the reply.  The issues of the hilt and weight differences are what made me question the whole idea.  I generally thought they would be different enough to warrant using the default instead...

NT
NT