News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerer in my Pocket

Started by 6inTruder, January 04, 2004, 05:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6inTruder

I guess this question is for Ron mosly, but anyone who wants to comment please feel free ^_^

Have you thought of publishing Sorcerer as a pocket sized book (mass-market sized to be specific)? I know Mongoose just did something similar w/ their Pocket Player's Handbook (though I'd say it's not quite pocket sized) and I find myself enjoying the idea of being about to carry about an RPG book in my back pocket.

So yeah. I just wanted to ask that cause I thought it'd be kinda cool if it weren't a total impossibility.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I like that idea, and for some publishers, there are some good reasons to put out a book like that.

They mostly don't apply to Sorcerer, though, whose market - at present - is "small subset of self-acknowledged role-players." The ones who still want to give the hobby a try even though it's disappointed them so far.

In other words, I don't know who would buy the small-sized book beyond a small core of Sorcerer fans. I think the Mongoose customers are mainly "novelty" buyers; they'll buy anything with Mongoose and D&D on it because the line has proved itself to them already. Here's another thing? And it's cute? OK, here's my money.

Such a publishing tactic only works if you're dealing with a very big customer base, because you have to keep your cost-per-unit way down - i.e. big print runs. For me, I'd have to be able to count on every real-sale unit paying for ... I dunno, an estimated 40 or 50 which didn't sell. Which strikes me as pretty unlikely.

Also, I'm not sure I ever want to publish something that's pretty much "old book, new format." It strikes me that Adept has done well mainly because everyone knows, or discovers, that each product really is a new thing.

So, aesthetically, yeah, I'd love to see a pocket-sized book in people's pockets. But commercially, I don't think the market's there.

Best,
Ron

6inTruder

ah, cool ^_^ and thanks! That was about what I thought you'd respond with, but I wanted to ask anyway.