News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

2 Q: breaking weapons. Knockdown rolls.

Started by kidar, January 10, 2004, 09:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidar

Lo,

Many weapons are made of wood instead of steel. F.ex. staff and short spear. If I use a staff to parry strikes made by a sword, how easily does the staff get broken?

Second and very simple question,
"a TN equal to twice the number of your attacker's MoS (counting after your defence but before armor)"

Is this correct:

TN = 2 * (Weapon Dam (including Str) + MoS - To)

Eg. MoS=2, Str=5, To=4, Weapon=long sword (2h cut):

TN = 2 * (5+2 + 2 - 4) = 10

kiD

Bob Richter

Wooden weapons are not as easy to break as some would have you believe.

As a matter of fact, pound for pound, oak wood is stronger than steel.

With a good heavy axe and a chopping block, you could split a quarterstaff with little effort, but in battle the feat is nearly impossible.

The staff will get marked up, and the sword might get stuck, but it's not much unlike parrying a sword with another sword or a steel pipe. Neither weapon is likely to break.
So ye wanna go earnin' yer keep with yer sword, and ye think that it can't be too hard...

Salamander

Quote from: kidarLo,

Many weapons are made of wood instead of steel. F.ex. staff and short spear. If I use a staff to parry strikes made by a sword, how easily does the staff get broken?

In the parry of a metal weapon by a wooden one, I feel that you may be suprised to find that if your staff takes any damage beyond a scuff where the impact was parried, you might have done the parry wrong. Wooden weapons are not that easy to destroy. Of course your first mistake was to attack the weapon. If I were you, I'd pay attention to the opponent, not his weapon.

Second and very simple question,
"a TN equal to twice the number of your attacker's MoS (counting after your defence but before armor)"

Is this correct:

TN = 2 * (Weapon Dam (including Str) + MoS - To)

Eg. MoS=2, Str=5, To=4, Weapon=long sword (2h cut):

TN = 2 * (5+2 + 2 - 4) = 10

kiD

I don't have my book handy, but I think your knockdown calculation looks good.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".