News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Editing Posts

Started by Sigurth, January 21, 2004, 06:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigurth

I noticed that there was a time limit for editing posts....I am told 360 minutes by the site when I have tried to edit after a day or so.

Does this apply to everyone or can that limitation be removed say via subscription to the site or time spent with the Forge?

just curious.

thanks,

Sigurth
Do you know the Riddle of Hârn? (A Hârnic Story Hour with Game Notes using TROS, continued)

Christopher Kubasik

Hi Sigurth,

The policy is thus:

No.

To prevent folks from altering their threads *after* heated discussions -- which might leave those folks who responded in a heated manner after the fact hanging in the wind to look like assholes, while the guy who edited his posts seems level-headed all of the sudden -- posts are locked after a set amoun of time.

This was done because the above sort of situations did occur around here (in one form or another, depending on who you talk to), and it was decided (after a bit of discussion, which you can find on this board if you poke around), the locking thing was the way to go.

There are other reasons, which delve deeper historical arcana, but it's really not worth going into.

The trick is this: We're all encouraged here to type what we'd feel comfortable having people read forever.  And if we need to correct, apologize, clarify, that all becomes a matter of public record as well.

Christopher
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield

M. J. Young

Sigurth--welcome to the Forge.

You can put posts in preview mode, and you can edit them immediately after posting if there's a problem; but the feeling here is that once you've posted what you want to say, you shouldn't be permitted to "unsay" it except by posting a retraction or apology.

There were problems at another site where someone stirred up a lot of trouble with some posts and then deleted all the content to try to prevent people from reading what he had said. Not that that's the fear here, but I have been on sites where someone who posted something came back a few days later and rewrote the entire thing, with the result that the thread no longer made any sense because of the changes.

No one can change posts here once the time limit expires. Moderators (only) have the power to delete them, but only use that for certain sorts of Spam. Moderators also have the power to split posts to start a new thread, or move them to a different forum where they would be more appropriate.

Otherwise, be careful what you say, because it's written in the electronic equivalent of stone once you've said it.

--M. J. Young

Sigurth

Thanks for the reply guys!

It will teach me to edit my posts better before hand.
Do you know the Riddle of Hârn? (A Hârnic Story Hour with Game Notes using TROS, continued)