News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Basic System] Basic Pulp

Started by Dregg, January 07, 2004, 06:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dregg

Well since I have enjoyed DGBG's Basic system so much, I tweeked it for Pulp style play. Basic Pulp is a Basic system modification that adds a bit of the cinematic to the rules. In no way is it a complete game, but i thought I would share the work for those who want a cheap (free) pulp fix.

Goto:http://www.chapter13press.com/chapter13/id7.html

Click on the Basic Pulp title and it will take you to the Download page

I am sorry about the messy company web site, I'm about to change hosts as Lycos is not doing it for me.

Dregg
J. Carpio "Dregg"
Gaming Coordinator I-CON (iconsf.org)
Chapter 13 Press co founder(www.chapter13press.com)
Column Writer "Lights, Camera, Action!" (silven.com)

Dregg

J. Carpio "Dregg"

Mike Holmes

Did you want to discuss anything about the system?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Dregg

Quote from: Mike HolmesDid you want to discuss anything about the system?

Mike

Actually I did, I have been so brain dead lately that even my posting is a blank stare.
The thing that has been an issue with me and all the games I have or am designing is powers. In all the years I have gamed, I have never found a powers system that has been "Non Crunchy". For me I just like powers to be cinematic, but in the wrong hands a narrative powers system can lead up to a GM's nightmare... and forget it if you have paower gamers on board.
The Basic Pulp powers list is somewhat taken from Torg and what I am doing for Pulp Era, just a simple decriptive powers system that leaves all the effects up to the player and GM, instead of having crunchy mechanics to tell you how to make your powers a science.

Any thoughts?
J. Carpio "Dregg"

Dilly Green Bean Games

That's funny. Someone accused me of having crunchy powers for TBS, but we didn't have detained rules for powers. It just said that the range was 50 yards or line of sight. After reading what you just wrote it makes me question if the person was critical because of who actually wrote it or they were trying to be helpful......... Confusion.

Still I have heard nothing but good things about the Pulp game. I love the look and design. I know that there is word that the game might get done as a demo in Germany...........who'd have thought?
Making the game the way I want it.

Mike Holmes

I'm still not certain what the question is. You're saying that you have designed a non crunchy system for powers, and that there's some issue about it. Are you worried that it's still too crunchy? You're refering to the stuff under Legendary Powers, right?

Have you seen Hero Quest?

Mike

Dilly Green Bean Games

I think the crunchy remark was just some of my old crows picking at the crops.
Making the game the way I want it.

Dregg

Quote from: Mike HolmesI'm still not certain what the question is. You're saying that you have designed a non crunchy system for powers, and that there's some issue about it. Are you worried that it's still too crunchy? You're refering to the stuff under Legendary Powers, right?

Have you seen Hero Quest?

Mike

I own Hero Quest, but yet to read through it. Anything done by Robin Laws IMHO is pure Brilliance.
Legendary Powers is what I was refering to...
I personaly am a Minimalist when it comes to games, I prefer systems that allow narrative effects than to nasty old die rolls, yet I cringe at Diceless (I know make up my mind). I'm trying to grasp at if it make sense of does it look like I just named powers and said "here now you play with how it works". Basic Pulp is a project of fun while my brian melts on the production of Bad Muthas.
I guess what i was looking for was any Ideas to improve on the Legendary powers system.
J. Carpio "Dregg"

Mike Holmes

I'd really suggest digesting that copy of Hero Quest. Focus on how magic works. Then see if that wouldn't be a good way to open up the powers section, and to make it even less "crunchy".

Mike