News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

First Impressions (incomplete)

Started by Sammael99, January 19, 2004, 05:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammael99

Quote from: taepoongFor me, finding a new armor system isn't about trying to fix the official one - which works just fine really. It's all about living up to the dream of a fixed DN throughout the entire system. "One DN to rule them all..." and all that! ;o)

Same here.

I'll be honest with you abzu, although I love the game as I'm reading it, I know it'll be atough sell to my players. We play on average 4-5 hours a month these days, and crunchy system have a much steeper learning curve than light ones. So I need all the 'generic rules' I can get.

Also, I may not be as bent on realism as you seem to be.

That being said, I fully intend to test the system as is before I tweak. I systematically do that. It's the only way to
a/ not fix something that works
b/ set the tweaking design goals right

While I'm at it, something that isn't entirely clear to me in Chargen :

You go through your paths, listing skills you pick and skillpoints. But you only allocate skillpoints globally at the end. You don't allocate for each lifepath. Is that correct ?

Oh, and while I'm at it : do we have ETAs for the Monster Burner and the Magic Burner ?

Sammael99

Oh, and another thing I totally failed to understand : the grey and white levels on the injury greyscale (can't remember the correct name)

I understand how you can have would levels there. I don't understand how you deal with regular damage on that scale...

Lxndr

QuoteYou go through your paths, listing skills you pick and skillpoints. But you only allocate skillpoints globally at the end. You don't allocate for each lifepath. Is that correct ?

Well, each lifepath REQUIRES you to allocate to one particular skill - the first one available on each list.  Beyond that, yeah, you can use your LP skillpoints on ANY skill THAT YOUR LPs give you.  So you do sort of "allocate for each lifepath" but not quite.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Sammael99

Quote from: Lxndr
QuoteYou go through your paths, listing skills you pick and skillpoints. But you only allocate skillpoints globally at the end. You don't allocate for each lifepath. Is that correct ?

Well, each lifepath REQUIRES you to allocate to one particular skill - the first one available on each list.  Beyond that, yeah, you can use your LP skillpoints on ANY skill THAT YOUR LPs give you.  So you do sort of "allocate for each lifepath" but not quite.

Okay. Thanks. At least I got that right...

Lxndr

If you have excel to access, try this:

www.twistedconfessions.com/files/burner.xls

As far as I'm aware, it handles the character generation rules flawlessly.  Create a few characters using its guidelines, and you'll be good to go.

Sammael99

Quote from: LxndrIf you have excel to access, try this:

www.twistedconfessions.com/files/burner.xls

As far as I'm aware, it handles the character generation rules flawlessly.  Create a few characters using its guidelines, and you'll be good to go.

What ?

There's no pop-down list of all the lifepaths ?

Pfff...

;)

Lxndr

Bah.

I wanted to replace the character burner WORKSHEET, not replace the whole Character Burner.  ;)

Luke

QuoteI'll be honest with you abzu, although I love the game as I'm reading it, I know it'll be atough sell to my players. We play on average 4-5 hours a month these days, and crunchy system have a much steeper learning curve than light ones. So I need all the 'generic rules' I can get.

Hrm. Definitely doesn't sound like the game for you then. BW loves attention. It basks, glows and grows in its continuous rays. With inattention... or infrequent attention it sits like a brick in the stomach.

Still, try it out. I can be used to do fantastic one-offs! Really intense and really quick. (you, the GM, just need to know the rules.)

And I swear, I never mentioned realism. I am absolutely not bent on such a concept. In fact, I have an entire clan of armored orcs here who are rather insulted by such comments. Be glad there's an ocean between us! ;)

I am really bent on consistency, accurate representation, the right "feel" and playability.

BTW, you can call me Luke, Ben!

Valamir

QuoteI can be used to do fantastic one-offs! Really intense and really quick.

Now we know Luke's day job...:-)

Luke

Quote from: Valamir
QuoteI can be used to do fantastic one-offs! Really intense and really quick.

Now we know Luke's day job...:-)

Hey! Take that shit to rpg.net!

;)

rafial

Quote from: Sammael99Oh, and another thing I totally failed to understand : the grey and white levels on the injury greyscale (can't remember the correct name)

I understand how you can have would levels there. I don't understand how you deal with regular damage on that scale...

Forgive me if I'm answering a different question than you asked, but for damage purposes, Black -> Grey -> White is treated as a linear scale with each section running up to 16.  So adding one pip of damage to B16 brings you to G1.

Conversely, if you have a character with a Mortal Wound in the low Grey, their less severe wounds levels will scatter down into the Black.  Purely made up example:

Su: B6  Li: B9  Mi: B12  Se: B15  Tr: B16  Mw: G1

So it may be possible to bring them down with many smaller Black wounds.

And of course for anybody with a MW in the Black, any Grey damage at all is fatal.

Does that help?

drozdal

QuoteConversely, if you have a character with a Mortal Wound in the low Grey, their less severe wounds levels will scatter down into the Black.

The same thing goes for characters or monsters with white shaded Mortal Wound. Their less severe wounds will be located on Black scale, and rest of them will be stretched on whole physical tolerance scale. So like rafial just pointed no matter how tough they are you can always "bring them down with many smaller Black wounds"

Dro

rafial

Huh... So I just realized that even the biggest baddest supernatural entity with a W16 MW (so by definition a W16 Power and Forte) has a B9 superficial (and if I'm doing it in my head right, a G1 Light wound).

If you prick them, do they not bleed?

Luke

yeah, you're on the right track, but this should all really be in another thread.

Wilhelm noticed that I revised the grayscale to accomodate 16 pips for each shade. This necessitates a readjustment of the factoring of wound tolerances for the Gray and White shade Mortal Wounds. Nothing too involved, but worth noting.

-L