News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TROS] The Riddle of Hârn

Started by Sigurth, January 19, 2004, 08:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigurth

The Serpent's Path, part I

Halifax looked over his shoulder with regret as he and Beknyr crested the final rise. Ochryn lay in the plain below. Mist had already risen, nearly concealing the village, and obscuring the Pit of Ilvir that lay less than a league beyond that.

"Gargun usually travel in groups of ten," Beknyr had said.

"Our mission is of utmost importance. You are a patriot, are you not?" the traehan had added.

He had known those southron-folk for barely a day, after all, he had consoled himself, but his conscience had nagged him all night. Now they had reached their destination as the sun crested the mountains to the east, warming their faces. Halifax exhaled the stink from his nostrils sending a stream of his own mist into the air. Hal liked to sneak, but it made him feel like a coward to steal away without their knowledge. He paused at the top of the hill, turned and gave half-hearted salute. He hoped to see them again. Then Halifax jogged to catch up with Beknyr.

Closer to noon, Markus Cosele rode towards the crest of another of these crumbling rock formations that passed as hills in these parts. The noisome smell hit him as he reached the top.

"Ugh! I had hoped to be rid of this stench, but here we go again."

He reached for his canteen and shook it. It was pitifully short of spirits. He brought the refreshing draught closer to his lips, but just as he was about to take a drink, a strong wind blew the rank smell right up into his nose. Uncharacteristically, he lost it...right into his container.

"I hate this place!" he yelled tossing the canteen away.

Wiping bits of the morning's breakfast of bread and jerky from his chin with his handkerchief, he looked behind him as his men reached his position and gave him a questioning look. They had already adjusted their scarves to protect from the smell.

"Damndable flask is empty!"

And then he added, continuing to play off his momentary lack of composure, "Hurry up, you scurvy louts, we haven't all day! The Senator does not like to be kept waiting."

His men picked up the pace, moving past his location. Following suit, the pilgrims and the magician began trotting to keep up. Finally, the Rethemi on horseback, and his barbarian, keeping pace by his side, brought up the rear. Both gave him a smug, knowing look.

Markus cursed and dug his heels into the side of his mount to return to the head of the column. At least the only inn in town had a decent liquer.

"So you are a worshipper of Save K'nor, then?" asked the one-eyed pilgrim.

Pelar smiled and nodded. He had been attempting to humor the girl. Lift her spirit, and help her to make it through the day. He had not wanted a deep relegious conversation.

"We can respect the Divine Sage. As much as the Brooder creates things so too does your master with equal relish seek knowledge."

Pelar raised an eyebrow.

"Only he can be trusted. The other gods and their worshippers. They hate us."

She put a hand on his forearm. Pelar looked down trying to hide his disdain and gently removed her hand. They were nutty, all of them really.

This one, Talia of Shirnan, believed that we would all become ivashu, and as we strove towards inner peace, we would one day sit at Ilvir's side. The other one, Denil, argued that no, humans were a form of ivashu. They also differed on the role of the churches, and hence Ilvir, in their daily lives. At least Talia was less emotional in her discussion. The other bordered on fanaticism. Pelar bided his time until he could get somewhere to examine his specimens. Undoubtedly, the temple had such facilities. Maybe someone was an expert.  

Halifax felt a heavy hand grab his shoulder. The dice in his hand went flying, but they still fell in play. It was a bad roll.

"You missed the party, woodsman."

He was yanked from his comfortable kneeling postion in the dice game and pushed a little rudely against the wall. In his face was the legion captain. Halifax turned his head away from his foul breath.

"Explain yourself, coward."

"Markus, he is only a boy. There is no need to be so hard on him. I suspect that he was under orders from the other traveler."

Halifax nodded and gave a wink to the southron knight who defended him.

"Hedge knight, if I wanted your input, I would have asked for it."

"We gave your man, Tivir a chance to redeem himself and he did indeed fight bravely."

"Plus, I have checked on your men for you, knowing that that you would arrive soon...sir," Halifax added with a gulp.

Rhygar stood behind Vynscythe, arms folded, looking like he was going to back up the Rethemi on this one.

"Fine."

Markus let Halifax go.

"A...a round of your best for these fine and gentle men!" called Halifax to a nearby servant, feeling the satisfying weight of his new coin purse.

Clueless, the legion captain smiled.

"So tell me, Halifax. What is going on with my men?"
Do you know the Riddle of Hârn? (A Hârnic Story Hour with Game Notes using TROS, continued)

Halifax

lol, nothins better than placating an alcholic Legionaire by buying everyone a round of drinks with his own money :)

Looking forward to the next post Broc.. I mean Siguth... I mean... youre right you do have to many names :p
"I have no use for the gods... I make my own luck"

Halifax speaking to Vinscythe

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Although I do like the enthusiasm that this thread represents, I have to tell you guys something.

This forum is for discussing actual play, not just describing "what happens" in the game-world. If you want to post that kind of material by itself, I suggest that you set up a free website for that purpose. Here, although that material is welcome, it should also be accompanied by questions, observations, and topics for discussion.

Sigurth, what can you tell us about what it was like for the people, role-playing this material? How did they interact, how did they let one another know it was fun? You're apparently having a successful role-playing experience, and I'd really like to know what real-life interactions are involved in making that happen for your group.

Best,
Ron

Sigurth

QuoteIf you want to post that kind of material by itself, I suggest that you set up a free website for that purpose. Here, although that material is welcome, it should also be accompanied by questions, observations, and topics for discussion

We're working on it! Usually I post on Enworld.org's Story Hour forum, but as I already have one non-d20 story and two other SH's, I thought it would be a bit much over there. Initially, I was posting narrative and then game notes, but seeing as there was no replies...I started dropping the notes. Hey! It worked :) I got a response.

QuoteSigurth, what can you tell us about what it was like for the people, role-playing this material? How did they interact, how did they let one another know it was fun? You're apparently having a successful role-playing experience, and I'd really like to know what real-life interactions are involved in making that happen for your group.

This session was the first with no major combat. It was lots more player-player interaction. In fact what has been very cool about this game is that the players talk in character about their philosophies and drives when I'm having another player interact with NPCs or do something game mechanics-wise.  Halifax's quote is something that he said during play to Vynscythe who was explaining to him the merits of worshipping Larani....but more of that to come.

Thanks for the interest. I'll definitely have more game notes in the future.

Of note: Halifax has a very good pick pocket and has made it a habit...running joke...to steal and use Markus's money.
Do you know the Riddle of Hârn? (A Hârnic Story Hour with Game Notes using TROS, continued)

Pyske

I thought I had posted on this thread previously, but looking back I don't see my post, so let me start by expressing my appreciation for this thread.  I'm enjoying it so far.

In particular, one of the elements I'm getting out of the thread is seeing a narrative example of how SAs play out in Sigurth's game, and how he handles diverse and occasionally conflicting goals among the group.  

Ron: I was, in fact, a little surprised by your comment, as I was under the impression from some of the early posts that this was a major goal of the thread, and that such a goal fit within the Actual Play forum.  Are you looking for more interaction? (Dialog as opposed to monologue?)

Sigurth:  I liked seeing the game details as well, and even more so the editorial comments.  Also, did you ever post your tweaks to the magic system, and your reasons behind the power level you decided on for it?  I may have overlooked it in the thread.

Thanks again for an enjoyable read.

. . . . . . . -- Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Real Name: Eric H)

Ron Edwards

Hi Eric,

QuoteRon: I was, in fact, a little surprised by your comment, as I was under the impression from some of the early posts that this was a major goal of the thread, and that such a goal fit within the Actual Play forum. Are you looking for more interaction? (Dialog as opposed to monologue?)

Dialogue as opposed to monologue, yes - but also, discourse as opposed to dialogue. Discourse relies on active inquiry and the desire to understand the other person, and above all, the mutual desire to improve the ideas at hand rather than merely to express them, or merely to bully one of them out of existence.

Sigurth, yeah, more notes! You will be surprised when someone points to your thread a few months from now to support a point they're making in a frenzied debate.

Best,
Ron

Sigurth

Quote from: PyskeAlso, did you ever post your tweaks to the magic system, and your reasons behind the power level you decided on for it?  I may have overlooked it in the thread.

Thanks again for an enjoyable read.

. . . . . . . -- Eric

No I did not.

Here's a link to Spartan's vagaries-to-convocations thread:
http://www.harnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1893&highlight=tros+magic

I decided to keep the aging effects. I makes for a more judicious use of magic. In fact, so far Pelar has been loathe to use any spontaneous spells, relying on his rubric of formalized spells to get the TN break.

He's getting more bold, as the next few narratives will show, and the great thing is that the other players, since I gave them handouts explaining their takes on magic, and the Hârnic attitude, have contributed to the awe and mystique of the Shek P'var.

I will probably write down the formalized spells if there is interest...they are converted from HârnMaster...and could probably use some tweaks.

I also barred him from choosing any level greater than 2 to start with. This was a flavor/campaign world decesion. Satvia-Mavari have to earn their stripes!

Thanks for the support!

Spartan

Quote from: SigurthNo I did not.

Here's a link to Spartan's vagaries-to-convocations thread:

Just out of curiosity, how has the conversion been working?  I haven't had the chance to playtest it... I just kind of intuited what would be appropriate given my vision of Hârn, since some people seemed interested at the time.  If you've made some changes, please post them and why the changes were made.  I plan on using TROS again for a Hârn campaign after my HârnMaster campaign is finished or needs a break.  Also, some feedback from the Pelar's player would be nice, too. :)

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

Sigurth

Quote from: Spartan
Just out of curiosity, how has the conversion been working?  I haven't had the chance to playtest it...

So far, so good.  Base on your constructions and my Magcial Vagary Level 2 limit, Pelar has the following Proficiencies: Conquer 2, Vision 2, Summonig 2, Banishment 1, Imprisonment 2 from the Savorya and Neutral Convocations.

I have a formalized spell list for Pelar with some from the TROS book and converions from HMx. I made Mana I Neutral (Summoning, Magic) for example. I'd love to send you the list.. and could use some help tweaking :) if you would like.  Tongue of Pvara worked better as a Savoryan spell than a neutral with the vagaries...in my formulation.

Quote from: SpartanAlso, some feedback from the Pelar's player would be nice, too. :)

-Mark

Did you see that Pelar? (I know he lurks...but I'll tell him as well)

Spartan

Quote from: SigurthSo far, so good.  Base on your constructions and my Magcial Vagary Level 2 limit, Pelar has the following Proficiencies: Conquer 2, Vision 2, Summonig 2, Banishment 1, Imprisonment 2 from the Savorya and Neutral Convocations.

Sounds good.  I'm glad that someone is getting use out of my conversions.  :)

QuoteI'd love to send you the list.. and could use some help tweaking :) if you would like.

Otay.  Feel free to do so. :)

-Mark

Valthalion

How are you dealing with divine magic?

Valthalion

TROS in Orbaal
Ours is to choose what to do with the time we have been given

Gandalf

Sigurth

Quote from: ValthalionHow are you dealing with divine magic?

Good question!

I am most likely to deal with the divine magic just as with sorcery, including the ramifications. I can see how Summoning/Binding Ivashu or Demons could work pretty easily with the Churches of Ilvir and Agrik, Morgath, Naveh, etc. Most likely they will be Spells of Many or at least Spells of Three, with very few formalized, and certain flaws. But what about those Berserker Fury spells of the Sarajinians and Barbarian Tribes? I'll probably have to wing it. If it comes up, I'll definitely post the spell/ritual here. I was thinking that priests would be more a political and less magical, kind like in HM1.

Psionics...that might be a problem...a specialized form of "magic" that requires no formal training and you can only do one or a few spells?

Valthalion

I have been thinking about this more.

I have decided to allow clerics to become sorcerors in the normal way
if they choose but these guys are rare.

But I have decided to use the Faith SA as a basis for divine intervention as per harnmaster.

Valthalion
Ours is to choose what to do with the time we have been given

Gandalf

Sigurth

Quote from: ValthalionI have been thinking about this more.

I have decided to allow clerics to become sorcerors in the normal way
if they choose but these guys are rare.

But I have decided to use the Faith SA as a basis for divine intervention as per harnmaster.

Valthalion

I think that works...they are the gifted among their fellow priests. Hmmm...Faith SAs. Hadn't thought about divine intervention, but maybe it'll be there :) especially in the case of Vynscythe with his journey towards Larani-worship.

Which reminds me, I need to get crackin' on that narrative...The Players' explorations of Ochrynn are very interesting...

Spartan

Personally, I would shy away from using the magic rules "as-is" for Clerical Invocations, but that's just me.  I like having the two systems separate.  That being said, there's nothing preventing Shek-Pvar from being priests as well.  I haven't yet come up with a mechanic for Miracles in TROS, but if I end up running another Hârn campaign using TROS, I guess I'll have to... someone's going to end up playing a priest eventually. ;)

-Mark