News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TROS spiritual attributes in BW

Started by Kaare Berg, January 22, 2004, 07:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

ack. i dunno.

I really thought that between BITs we had that all covered.

Beliefs cover Passion and Drives

Instincts cross-over to Drives

Traits have a hand in Faith and Destiny -- think of it like your traits create the distorted shadow of your destiny throw on the distant wall of your future. You can make out some details, but everything is fuzzy until you get close (and hit it).

-L

Lxndr

Yeah, BITs more or less cover everything, except possibly Destiny - which is why my suggestion if allowing Beliefs and Instincts to work as Special Dice Traits (i.e. ones that, like extra Artha dice, didn't count towards "dice rolled" for test calculations).

Although I've got to admit that "Destiny" isn't NEARLY as defined in BW as it is in SAs.  With TRoS, you can say "my destiny is to become king of this land" and woot, that's pretty specific.  Traits, as you point out, are more like the distorted shadow than the stated goal.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Luke

I daresay, I don't like the idea of a strictly defined destiny. I like this to emerge in play as a product of the combination of all the other facets.

Yeah, destiny is the distillation of the facets of character.

But that's just me preference.

Kaare Berg

My group sat down Friday to try some of these ideas, and it felt wrong. You were all right when you said BITs cover it. these "SA traits" became a redundant layer on top of the the characters and we saw little point in adding it.

This might be that out TROS and BW games are totally different in tone and style, but the mix didn't work for us. Our conclusion is:

Though SAs work wonderfully in TROS they are superflous in BW.

To me both games are brilliant in their own right and this is how I should leave it be.

Thank you all for your response and input though.

Peace

K
-K

Bracken

I've been playing a Burning Wheel campign using The Riddle of Steel Combat notes posted over the summer. While I feel this system is superior (IMO) to the one in BW, I gotta say I prefer the concept of Artha to Spiritual attributes. I found that in play they just made tasks too easy, and all spiritual attributes are not created equally. Characters whose spiritual attributes don't come into play as much get penalized as this is used as the only advancement method. My 2 cents.

Bracken