News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Adding or Changing SA's

Started by Sigurth, January 22, 2004, 04:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigurth

I really did look at the FAQ on this Forum, but could not find the answer to my quesiton.

In character generation the PCs start out with 5 SAs and get 7 points.

1)Are these the only SAs they can ever have? 2)Are they always limited to 5?

Just like we change our career paths and drives over the course of our lives I figure that the answer to 1) is No.

The second question is more important. What if along the Riddle, the dramatis personae, who started faithless gains one? Does he have to drop an SA that he already has?

Thanks in advance!
Do you know the Riddle of Hârn? (A Hârnic Story Hour with Game Notes using TROS, continued)

Ingenious

You seem to have answered question the first already.
Question the second: Answer is yes. If he started faithless at the beginning(say his faith was atheism) and he gained a faith along the course of his life.. then his faith would change. Same thing can be said of a passion, should the target of this passion die, change, or the character might lose interest.. or the target of the passion might lose interest in the character, etc etc.
Destiny(in some cases)can end. My new character's(the assassin I play with another group) has a destiny of 'complete your mission'.. once completed obviously I either need a new destiny.. or a new target/mission.. but that particular SA can stay worded the exact same way.. the target of the mission changes though.. and the goal of the mission might also... lest we forget that there is more to assassinating someone than killing them outright.. there's political assassination whereby a noble or other such prominent figure gets 'dethroned' as it were. Also one might be able to assassinate someone's credibility/honor/whatnot. But you see my point with that.
Drives can change also..
Luck doesnt really change.. unless that character stops beleiving in luck and then replaces it with a new one.

There are rules for changing SA's.. though with book not handy I can not recall them. but I beleive there are some threads regarding this specific thing.
-Ingenious

The Heretic

I have a question.

When I read the section expalining when you gain points in a SA I noticed that you get points in Luck if you are the worst or the best roller of the session. What happens if you dont have the Luck SA? This points are lost? or you get the Luck SA at 1 earning a 6th SA?

Sorry for the bad Engish...

Jake Norwood

It's lost. Bam. Should've bought luck.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Ingenious

From my understanding you neither gain nor lose dice, or the SA.
If you wanted to get the Luck SA then you would have to take a current SA down to zero to replace it.
Don't worry about your English typing prowess, I can understand it.
There is a max of 5 SA's a character can have at any one time though, gaining a sixth is not really possible.. and there are only five SA slots on a character sheet also.
I particularly like the Luck SA, since I can use it any way I want, in any situation, up to however many points in Luck I have. However, we run long sessions.. very long sessions in fact.. and I would like to see my GM implement the option of refreshing those luck dice once a game.

-Ingenious

Alan

The rule on changing Spiritual Attributes is on page 66.  You can change the focus (the details), but not the category of an SA by reducing it and one other attribute to 0.  You can change the cateogry of an attribute  (eg Drive to Faith) by getting the Seneschal's permission and spending 10 SAs.
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

Valamir

Absolutely right.  However, an automatic house rule for any campaign I run will be to ignore the second half of that requirement completely.

Jake, if you had it do over again would you worry about 10 SAs for changing a category?

Brian Leybourne

Don't be under the misapprehension that it costs 10 SA's to buy that new SA. You have to SPEND 10 points, yes, but you get to spend them on improving yourself and they count towards insight, it's not an actual cost to purchase the new SA or anything, other than the fact that you have ten fewer points still around that you now need to start earning again.

That's been stated a few times in the past, but is likely buried deep in old threads somewhere.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Just for comparison's sake, I do require two SA's to be dropped to 0 in order for one of them to be changed.

I think there are some neat in-play effects this rule promotes, essentially permitting two different options: (1) "Give us a blow-out on your old stuff before changing your schtick," and (2) "Not using X and Y at all? For a while? OK, time for them to go."

Brian's points are well-taken, and I'll add another: Luck can be spent to 0 quite easily without any kind of "change my guy" or "give up my points" element going on. So using Luck as one of the two makes things a little easier.

Best,
Ron

Lance D. Allen

However, it may be that your character isn't able, due to circumstances in the game, and the particulars of their SAs (loyalty to king and drive avenge my father, for example, when the character has chosen to accompany a friend to a foreign land) where you won't have 10 points just to blow off. The two SAs you have may be hovering close to zero already, so you might only get 2-3 points by spending them both down, which would require you to spend 7 points out of your other 3 SAs.

The way I play it, I only require that the SA in question and one other have to be spent down to zero. If, for some reason, you wanted to change 2 SAs, I'd require that a 3 is spent down to zero to meet the criteria for the second. I allow changes in detail or category without difference, so long as I approve of the change, of course.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: WolfenThe way I play it, I only require that the SA in question and one other have to be spent down to zero. If, for some reason, you wanted to change 2 SAs, I'd require that a 3 is spent down to zero to meet the criteria for the second. I allow changes in detail or category without difference, so long as I approve of the change, of course.

Amusingly enough, that's exactly how I do it too.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion