News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Running this at DunDraCon

Started by Ulmo, January 22, 2004, 04:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulmo

Which is a convention styling towards RPGs in Northern California.  I was curious if anyone had any feedback on how to structure the game to run at a convention.   I am not talking about the 30-45 minute demos, but a single session, "this is what the game is" type of game.  

Currently, I am thinking of making up players characters and the master.  If the group can then come up with their own group and characters then we can forgo the pregened characters and go at it.   It doesn't strike me as a game that much preplanning can go into.  

Jim Shumaker

Paul Czege

Hi Jim,

You'll have a three or four hour slot? I do think the game runs best when the players are invested in the creation of the Master. What do you think of bringing roughed out Master and presenting him for possible last minute alterations by the players?

You: "I'm thinking of Von Membrous as a Brain Aspected Master. If we made him a Beast, he'd be a lot more physical...blah blah."

Have some strong ideas about minion characters and possible Connections that you can offer as "templates" for players. Focus on what the minions might do for the Master, and leave the other details up to the players.

You: "I think Von Membrous maybe has real shaky hands, so one of his minions might be a young boy who secretly actually does the surgeries with the Master hovering above him, in close supervision. Anyone want a character like that?"

Player: "Maybe. A boy who Von Membrous purchased from a destitute family in the slums of Calcutta?"

You: "Beautiful."

Restrict yourself to three players, give the minions a couple of points of Love to start, bang out the Master and character stuff in 30-45 minutes, and you might just be able to finish a game in 3-4 hours.

Good luck!

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Ulmo

This time, I really dont have a slot.  Usually though, the slots run 6-8 hours long.  That at least is the standard length RPG game at a convention out here.   I would assume that the group playing this will want to complete in a 6 hour session, they might go for more if they are really into the game.  

The Master and characters that I brought I would at least intend to let the group put some of their personal touch on them.  This game really seems to demand it more than others and its not like its a real time intensive task.

Why restrict to just three players?  Pacing?  

Jim

Paul Czege

Hey Jim,

Why restrict to just three players? Pacing?

Actually, if you really have six or eight hours, you can probably do four players. Personally though, I'd still hesitate about doing five...for pacing reasons as you suggest, and also because I'm not entirely confident I could do justice to the large cast of Connections and other NPCs that would be produced from having so many minions.

Good luck!

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans