News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A touchy issue: September 11

Started by Bailywolf, February 06, 2002, 09:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bailywolf

Will you address how september 11 alters New York and it's Underworld?

GMSkarka

Quote from: Bailywolf
Will you address how september 11 alters New York and it's Underworld?

Yes, we will.  

Rest assured, though, it will be in as non-exploitative a way possible.  We lost friends on September 11th, and have more friends who were at Ground Zero and lived through it.  We're not about to make the whole thing part of any meta-plot, or attribute the events to something in-game.  

We're going to talk about the after-effects of the events on the 'landscape' of the UnderWorld, given the fact that the collapse of the WTC collapsed tunnels and basements for several levels below ground.  We're going to talk about the fact that more UpWorlders have been poking around (via recovery and repair efforts), and what this means to the UnderWorld in general.

But, no---there aren't going to be any "Terrorism Legendaries" or Artificers creating masses of Junkmen in an effort to give the souls of the victims a chance to live again (these have actually been suggested to me by folks via private emails....yuck).  

GMS
Gareth-Michael Skarka
Adamant Entertainment
gms@adamantentertainment.com

Bailywolf

Thanks.  

It can't be avoided... but is very difficult to touch.

I was also touched by the events personaly, and was really hoping for just this kind of mature and sensitive teatment.  I trust you've got the respect for the city and it's people needed to treat the attack and it's aftermath better than most.  Let's not even discuss the exploitive media aspects.

Good job.

Ron Edwards

I'll add my support to your approach, Gareth. What you say makes a lot of sense to me.

Best,
Ron

Ben Morgan

Well, there's really nothing more to say, except hear hear, and amen.
-----[Ben Morgan]-----[ad1066@gmail.com]-----
"I cast a spell! I wanna cast... Magic... Missile!"  -- Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light

TSL

I'm glad somebody other than Gareth and I brought this up.  I've been thinking about it since we first started discussing UW2.  It would be as inproper to completely ignore the events of September 11 as it would be to exploit them.

So I'll tell you guys what, or perhaps, who, I've been thinking about.  Legendaries come from the hopes and dreams and fears of the World Above.  While there were many grim lessons learned in September, there were also more than a few of sacrifice and true heroism.

The UnderWorld has acquired a new hero, one who is never seen clearly, sometimes he looks like a fireman othertimes she resembles a policewoman occasionally it appears as a paramedic. Its name is Smoke and it appears to help those that truly need it.

Least ways, that's what I'm thinking. :)
TS
Servant of Mantorok since 1863
Rumpuncher - Nocturnal's Scribe

GMSkarka

Quote from: TSL
The UnderWorld has acquired a new hero, one who is never seen clearly, sometimes he looks like a fireman othertimes she resembles a policewoman occasionally it appears as a paramedic. Its name is Smoke and it appears to help those that truly need it.

Least ways, that's what I'm thinking. :)

The difference in this case is that Smoke is just an amplification of an existing Legendary, the faith put in rescue workers.  Got a lot more powerful after September.

However, even if it makes sense, I *will not* have a "terrorism legendary" develop.  I just can't do it.   I might make some reference to the fact that ground zero itself has become a legendary location (as referenced in the original rules), a literal pit of dispair and disaster....and, as such, NOBODY goes there.   Allows me to deal with it, and then not touch it EVER AGAIN.

The focused belief of the *entire planet* has turned the former site of the World Trade Center into the archetype of the Bad Place...and even the most twisted UnderWorlder won't go anywhere near it.

I'm more interested in discussing how the loss of a MAJOR subway hub "broke the mystical circuit" that was generating Radiance....and what effect that has had on the entire UnderWorld.

GMS
Gareth-Michael Skarka
Adamant Entertainment
gms@adamantentertainment.com