News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dice systems in TROS and other inquiries

Started by Trevis Martin, January 29, 2004, 03:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevis Martin

Hi everyone,

First, Jake, thanks for the game.  I recieved it for Christmas (after all what says Happy Holidays more than vicious sword combat?), and we are due to play it soon. It looks really good, and my freinds and I are enthused.

Now to my question.  In perusing ROS threads I came upon this one by Ron, making a quesiont relevant to the first release of the game

Quote1) The basic resolution system has two "dials" to spin for difficulty: the number of dice rolled in opposition (the main one, I think) vs. the adjustment to the PC's target number. I have found in practice that such systems create some havoc during play, and that there's no downside to picking one or the other technique and sticking with it alone. Jake did mention this issue on the RPG.net thread and allowed as how he tends to stick with the first technique, which is just what I would think ...

Am I to understand that the basic res system originally consisted of an opposed roll of dice similar to sorcerer (and like the opposed version of the roll mentioned in the rules)?  And if so, how did it work exaclty?

thanks.

Trevis

Paganini

Trevis, Ron's comment actually applies to the current incarnation of TROS.

Basically, you have to decide how you want to use the dice mechanic, because the book doesn't decide for you. :)

You roll a bunch of dice vs. a target number (usually your skill level, if you don't have a skill, it defaults to 6) and inspect each die individually - pretty standard dice pool. The GM has the option of controling difficulty by changing the TN, changing the number of sucesses required, or (it seems rarely) adding or subtracting dice to the roll.

Trevis Martin

Reviewing the information on Page 6

I kinda see it.  The way its stated on this page seems to imply that the TN is determined by the difficulty of the task itself, all things being equal, where bonuses/penalties to the attributes occur when something local to the character is interfereing or assisting.  That implication is really from the example so I guess its not too strong.

So are we saying that most prefer to do one or the other?  That is for the most part some prefer to keep the TN at 6 or the skill level and just adjust the attribute dice for difficulty And others go with Adjusting the TN and not bothering with penalty dice?

And most of the Defaults I see for not having a skill are in the 10 to 13 range...(/quibble)  

Thanks.

Trevis

Thanaeon

I use multiple successes required to simulate harder skill rolls. 1 for a standard task, 2 for challenging, 3 or more for pretty hard stuff.

The attribute rolls are as explained: variable TN for different levels of difficulty.