News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

"Black Box" Gaming

Started by Umberhulk, January 29, 2004, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Umberhulk

I've created a diagram that shows the external influences on game play based on the premise that game are simulations.  Simulation is defined as:

Quotea : The imitative representation of the functioning of one system or process by means of the functioning of another b : examination of a problem often not subject to direct experimentation by means of a simulating device

To me, this seems like a functional description of role playing games, with the game being the simulating device.

It's getting late so I'll explain more of it in a later post.  Anyway,
here it is.

Let me know what you think so far.

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

If I'm not mistaken, that's what I call "Exploration," or rather, that's what I appropriated the term Exploration for from another fellow. My only slight difference is that I specify the medium of imaginative communication among a social group.

And yes, it's the foundational act of role-playing in my model. So I think we're seeing a strong point of agreement.

Best,
Ron

james_west

Hello!

I was gonna guess electrical engineer, but systems analyst is close enough ... seriously, that diagram is sufficiently difficult to interpret that after a couple of minutes I gave up.

- James

Umberhulk

If you think that is bad, wait until I draw up "white box" gaming, where I show what goes on inside of gameplay.  I still haven't forgetten about actually describing this, but I am working on getting my current game design up to playtestability by Sunday.  Something to do while watching the Super Bowl, you know.