News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Best of Threads?

Started by Laurel, November 15, 2001, 04:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurel

Ron was giving Nathan some good thread examples in a post and it got me thinking... one of the most useful things for newcomers and even oldcomers with limited memory spans would be an article that provided some kind of limited index to the forum, covering favorite topics and the "best" threads or "best" posts in terms of how coherently they articulated ideas and solutions.  I realize that would be a lot of work, but it would sure be valuable.    

Bankuei

I agree, I find when I get some spare time, and start randomly looking through the old posts, I find goldmines of ideas that may not strike me as necessarily belonging into a certain forum.  I really enjoyed the Art-Deco forums, and wasn't expecting the solid run-through and step by step that was there.  If there was a best of the best, or perhaps some guide it might help out new people.

Bankuei

kwill

perhaps a new top category at http://www.indie-rpgs.com/resources/">http://www.indie-rpgs.com/resources/ dedicated to internal Forge links? (if I could think of a name I'd submit it :smile:

it could basically have a subcategory "Best of Threads", where anyone could submit links (as approved by Clinton), and popularity would be ranked by hits (and it could crop up in Most Popular)

otherwise, I suggested previously that those that started a thread "wrap it up" with a neat conclusion or someatt; perhaps a better (and more feasible?) idea would be for someone who feels a thread is worthy to rewrite it as an article and submit it to the Forge, turning discussion into conclusion (but, of course, by no means final say!)

obviously such articles would have to clearly mark out issues that were discussed, options that were presented and conclusions that were reached, without bias et cet

okay, maybe not so feasible :razz:

d@vid

Ron Edwards

My general problem with this issue goes like this:

1) If the SERVICE is to be a usable index of topics discussed, keeping up the index would be - bluntly - a total bitch. Keeping the Forge going now is extremely time-consuming; adding such a service (which could NOT be fully automated) would be impossible.

2) If the FEATURE is to be an automated index of popularity ... well, all I can say is that such a "comparison" of members is totally counter to the whole point of the site. Some threads have two posts - but amazing impact. Some of the longest threads are the least useful. Some members make significant impacts with very few posts. The service would inevitably create a quantity-based value system (especially calling it "Best of" for God's sake), and perhaps even competition, neither of which is desirable.

I would vastly prefer to see an general effort by Forge posters to do the following:
- Name threads clearly
- Stick to topic on threads, beginning new ones if a new topic arises
- Leave lapsed threads alone, but link to them when beginning a new, related thread
- Cheerfully and courteously refer other people to old threads that might be useful, including links

I think that a site with this sort of behavior going on would be much more useful than any number of compromises that attempt to fix the problems of #1 and #2.

Best,
Ron

greyorm

Oh hell, here's my two cents:
Someone wants to start a "Best of...", go ahead.  Make a new topic.  Put yer links to the "Best of..." in there and update it occasionally.  No extra time involved for the maintainers of the site...solely a reader-created, based and maintained affair.

Where would it go?  Site Discussion seems perfectly suited for this.

Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio