News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A question on Boost and Vitality

Started by Blind Hero, January 31, 2004, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blind Hero

It's two questions really.

First, on pg 76 Ron says that Vitality provides "defense" against over-Boosting, equal to the Power of Vitality.  However, the description for Vitality says that it takes effect after combat when a character can rest.  So, is this a special case for Vitality?  Should the description of Vitality include that it "defends" against over-Boosting?

Second, when a demon Boosts, his Power drops to 1, lowering all other powers to 1 as well as long as the Boost is maintained.  Say I didn't want to Boost for the whole amount though.  Maybe the demon's Power is 7 but my Stamina is only 5.  Using the Boost at full power will begin to tear me apart.  So I only want to Boost Stamina for 5.  Can that be done or is Boost always at full power?  If you use less Boost does the demon's Power still drop to 1 or is it incremental?  For example, a Power 7 demon Boosts Stamina for 5.  Does the demon's Power drop to 1 or does it only drop to 3?

Thanks in advance!

Ron Edwards

Hi! Sorcerer questions extravaganza.

QuoteFirst, on pg 76 Ron says that Vitality provides "defense" against over-Boosting, equal to the Power of Vitality. However, the description for Vitality says that it takes effect after combat when a character can rest. So, is this a special case for Vitality? Should the description of Vitality include that it "defends" against over-Boosting?

The description of Vitality should include some kind of general statement that the demon's Power is often used as an addition to the user's score for all sorts of reasons which involve resisting harm or strain. So raising the threshold for withstanding a Boost is just one example of this general idea.

QuoteSecond, when a demon Boosts, his Power drops to 1, lowering all other powers to 1 as well as long as the Boost is maintained. Say I didn't want to Boost for the whole amount though. Maybe the demon's Power is 7 but my Stamina is only 5. Using the Boost at full power will begin to tear me apart. So I only want to Boost Stamina for 5. Can that be done or is Boost always at full power? If you use less Boost does the demon's Power still drop to 1 or is it incremental? For example, a Power 7 demon Boosts Stamina for 5. Does the demon's Power drop to 1 or does it only drop to 3?

I love these questions; I can answer them!

a) The demon may Boost for less dice than its full Power, unless there's some locally-customized understanding of demons/abilities that precludes that.

b) But no matter what, whenever Boosting to any degree, the demon's Power drops to 1 for all other abilities and other game-functions of that score.

Best,
Ron

Blind Hero

So Vitality could be used as a bonus to running a long distance, way beyond your limits.  Or surviving in an extreme environment such as a desert or the arctic.  Very cool.

I figured a demon could bestow a lower Boost than his Power.  Sounds like a great way to rebel.......

The blanket rule that any Boost lowers the demon's power to 1 seems like a good way to avoid number crunchy twinkiness.  It's fine in Champions but I like my Sorcerer simple and elegant.

Thanks Ron.  You're quicker than a politician retracting his campaign promises.

Ron Edwards

Hi BH,

You're welcome!

QuoteI figured a demon could bestow a lower Boost than his Power. Sounds like a great way to rebel.......

Hey! Everyone else? Are you reading this? This guy gets it.

Best,
Ron