News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Terrae Novae] Game Mechanics

Started by Kilor Di, February 02, 2004, 11:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilor Di

No comments?  Oh well, that last post wasn't really a mechanics issue anyway.

I just thought of something the other day.  How should an army work in battle, anyway?  By this, I mean should the characters all be fighting in turn-based combat (like DnD, which might not work well in larger battles), or should they fight some other way?  The only alternative I can think of is that the GM would make maps for each battle beforehand, and the players would have to devise battle strategies both before and during battle (in case their previous strategy didn't work, or if they are ambushed), such as shooting the mountain-side to try to cause an avalanche or something.
A good game knows how to pull you in time after time.  A great game never lets go.
                                             -Me

Jasper

Well it just depends on what roll the characters are taking.  If they're just grunts...yeah, sure, have 'em slugging it out in the midst of a crazy battlefield.  I would probably use a modified version of the normal combat rules.  Things are far more hectic, and you don't want hundreds of rolls for a battle, so you can just make some representative rolls for performance over the course of the whole deal.  Then just cut to smaller important engagements, like when a character is confronted in hand to hand by some beefy enemy seargent, or for the final push against a bunker.

If the characters are in leadership positions, have them do some strategy and planning, sure.  I don't know if you want to go so far as to have a mini-strategy game in the midst of it all, but moving around some counters might be cool.
Jasper McChesney
Primeval Games Press

Kilor Di

I haven't posted in a while.  Guess I've just been getting lazy or something.

Anyway, new update.  The playable characters descriptions have been changed, and a new section called Army Creation has been added.
A good game knows how to pull you in time after time.  A great game never lets go.
                                             -Me

Kilor Di

I also changed Killing weapons to Stealth weapons.  Just something I forgot to post last week.

Oh, and do you think this game is ready for playtesting yet, or do I need to refine the game some more first?  I had planned on doing some playtesting in April, but with my schedule the way it is, I'm going to have to move it to May.  (This is to give me time to design character sheets and stuff.)
                                             -Me

Dav

If you're making a d20 game, make it a d20 game.

Dav

Kilor Di

Actually, the game uses a diceless system at this point.  I may change it to a D-whatever system later on if the diceless system doesn't work out too well.
                                             -Me

Kilor Di

Any other comments about the game's mechanics?  I haven't managed to make any changes this past weekend, but I think I'll try next weekend.
                                             -Me