News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

DD and Texas Hold'em

Started by DevP, February 03, 2004, 03:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevP

I like 7-card Texas Hold'em a lot more than I like 5-card draw. I know, that's not the point, but I have to ask. In case you don't know, the game of Texas Hold'em is:
* everyone gets two private ("hole") cards, and everyone bets
* everyone sees 3 common cards face-up, and bets
* then 1 more face-up, and bets
* and 1 more face-up, and bets
* and then, the call: the best 5card hand between your 2 hole cards and 3 from the table.

As you can see, most of the strategy is in the betting. I'm a bit tapped now, but any thought on how to re-jigger DD for a 7card Hold'em style? (Resulting in some longer combats, of course.)

Matt Snyder

Hello, Dev!

Yeah, I love Texas hold 'em. But, it's a new-found love. I didn't realize how the game worked until the recent rise to fame (of which I've watched Ben Affleck and/or the show for all of 3 minutes).  But, I was just infatuated with the game rules / style.

I haven't been able to think much these last few days, as I've been up to my neck in getting Daedalus and other stuff out the door. But, I'll give it some thoughts.

Any ideas, from you? Anyone?
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Mike Holmes

Ah, there's always a "fad" poker going around. This one is just gaining more attention because of the "world series" contests and such (congratulations to this year's winner Chris Moneymaker a complete newb).

The problem with the conversion is that there are no redraws in Hold Em, so how do you replace the draw mechanic? I mean, hand size, no prob, that remains mostly unchanged. What I'm seeing is that instead of a redraw size, that number determines the number of the cards in the "flop" that you can count as part of your hand.

That would be really cool, because it would lead to allsorts of strategy. Especially if you weren't aware of the "flop capacity" of the opponent.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.