News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Feminist game design?

Started by james_west, February 14, 2004, 11:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james_west

Thanks a lot for the input, everybody - I'll do another draft, incorporating my attempts at solutions to all of these problems.

- James

MPOSullivan

the game actually kind of reminds me of the comic book the Human Target.  it's got the identity thing in there, the travelling-guy-solving-problems thing.  The only difference is the issue of sexuality, which i understand is the idea you want at the center of the game.  Still, it seems to me like the  game would just be awesome for the exploration of identity.  good stuff.  looking forward to where you go with this next.
Michael P. O'Sullivan
--------------------------------------------
Criminal Element
Desperate People, Desperate Deeds
available at Fullmotor Productions

jrs

James,

I want to back up Mark's comments by pointing out that there are female mysterious strangers; Mary Poppins immediately comes to mind.  Although it seems that the point of view changes in that the female protagonist is thrust upon strangers, e.g., Alice from Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, and Wendy from Peter Pan.  There is also a number of classic childeren's stories that center on the orphan girl that must now live among strangers, e.g., The Little Princess.

Edited to add: Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz books

Julie

aplath

Hey this is a very interesting idea James.

Somebody said that can't see it working for a traditional (?!) one GM/several players setup. I don't agree with that.

One example that comes to mind is the "Touched by an angel" TV show. The main characters even assume special skills according to the needs/perceptions of the community they are inserted in a particular episode.

That said, if you change the title from "The Stranger" to "The Strangers" it does sounds like a complete change of premise. Or is it just me ?

Keep it going man!

Andreas