News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Roleplaying as a place to pick up chicks

Started by sirogit, February 15, 2004, 07:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Xero

Quote from: sirogitTo clarify abit, I'm thinking of the possibility of a roleplaying game/environment designed as a place that adults can meet people, with an emphasis for the possibility of a sexual companion.

The biggest difficulty I foresee with RPG environments as a location whereat dating might begin is that, in a game with strong roleplay emphasis, no one meets other players so much as he or she meets the player characters being performed.

I also don't think that Faire activity would provide an environment conducive to finding a date or potential romantic (as opposed to sexual) partner.  A great deal of sexual/sensual activity takes place at Medieval Faires, Renaissance Faires, and other such costume events, true, but that's not the same as a dating environment.  My knowledge personal and academic of LARPs is less, but if they function like the Faires, they would be places of Carnival.

As I understand it, Carnival is a physical/notional location at which all (or most) of the rules and roles of society are discarded for the night.  Peasant and elite interact as equals.  Husbands and wives might become free partners.  The use of costume occurs not as a form of grown-up dress-up but to obscure if not eliminate all traces of identity and social personna and therefore to obscure if not eliminate all societal and individual connections and obligations for that night.

The same sort of thing often occurs at Medieval Faires and Renaissance Faires, but I've never read of nor encountered such a thing occurring at a tabletop RPG.

Also, I suspect the non-physicality of strictly tabletop RPG activity would mitigate against the earthly, visceral energies which invite sexual (as opposed to romantic) interaction.

Doctor Xero
"The human brain is the most public organ on the face of the earth....virtually all the business is the direct result of thinking that has already occurred in other minds.  We pass thoughts around, from mind to mind..." --Lewis Thomas