News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Thieves and Kings 2

Started by Ben Lehman, February 23, 2004, 04:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lehman

As a flaming T&K fanboy, I need to answer this old thread.

Quote from: Ron Edwards
But Quinton ... this is a character who breaks most role-playing conventions of "story" and "protagonist" into teeny pieces. In a game like Sorcerer, Quinton would be a player-character, not an NPC. And how the hell does one do that?

BL>  Quinton isn't a PC, any more than his brother (Soracia's Demon) is.  He's a demon.  Particularly, he's Heath's UberPower demon, who granted her eternal life through reincarnation, and is presently in a state of full rebellion, playing various parts of his mistress off of herself towards his own ends, and convincing her to try to bind Rubel to herself (in competition with at least 2 other sorceresses) in order to distract her from the real picture.

Quinton only has power if people believe in him, and his power is in letting other people do things -- classic demon.

In this case, humanity represents not goodness but, literally, individuality, the ability to be seperated from your cause.  Heath in the latest issues is *very* low humanity, as she becomes more entwined in people's faith and expectations for her, particularly people in the neighborhood who help her.  Katara, on the other hand, realizes Quinton's game, and is keeping him safely Bound while she tries to decipher his plans and regain her humanity.

yrs--
--Ben

Ron Edwards

Hi Ben,

I buy it! It's tricky, because I was fooled by the Humanity as you describe it. I kept looking at Heath as the high-Humanity one due to her innocence, and your description makes more sense.

Best,
Ron

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Ron EdwardsI buy it! It's tricky, because I was fooled by the Humanity as you describe it. I kept looking at Heath as the high-Humanity one due to her innocence, and your description makes more sense.

BL>  I think what tipped me off to this possible definition of "T&K Humanity" is Soracia, who seems to me to be a very high humanity sorceress who is also very evil.  Interesting point: Viewed in the light above, all the female characters of the story are sorceresses, and the male characters are all demons.  That's definitely food for thought.

The other thing that I realized is that Rubel is a demon with my favorite power ever: Boost Humanity.

yrs--
--Ben (patiently awaiting the next issue)