News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I turned down a good GM's game Friday Night or

Started by Ace, February 21, 2004, 04:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

This could almost be called actual not play -- in fact I would have put that in the subject but I ran out of space

However I  thought I would share my most recent game meeting and my subsequent decision to "not game" rather than compromise my interests

The rements of my old gaming group (1 player is part time because of the lure of Vampire larps) got together at our FLGS Tonight for some L5R card and some additional gaming. 2 new players (total of 4.5 with the missing guy) made a pretty good sized table

After an inconclusive game of L5R they decided to play some D&D--

The DM offered me a spot and a new player tried to talk me into playing (which I appreciated) but I declined -I figured I would share why

#1 Controling GM--

I have become used to a lot of player empowerment, drama points etc-- Even simple things like the Cosmopolitan feat are ahard sell with this guy. I am basically going to end up fighting the chargen and the dice -- not fun. D&D itself limits options enough as it is -- throw in a controling DM and you have "prisoner of Weird Pete" ready to go

#2 Incoherent campaign --

I am not intersted in using D&D to explore philosophy-- especially after some of the philopshical scraps the DM and I have out of game.
We simply disagree on to many things in theology and philosophy to make an exploration of the others ideas fun as a diversion. This is especially so since exploartion of ideas would be one sided-- I am willing but he is not
Anyway  right now I want a game for fun not learning

Also -- I asked the DM to explain the point of the campaign and he gave me buzz words but no real explanation of what we were supposed to. Now this DM and I are friends and I know how he thinks-- if he can't explain it they game will be exploration driven.

Not my cuppa tea

#3 New players with differing tastes.

I spoke to the two new players (both cool guys) about what games they like and I heard a lot about patched Rifts -- in a word I smell trouble. Odds are someone who likes the wahoo of Rifts isn't going to like the same stuff I do --
This a GNS issue in the offing -- one i would rather do without

#4 Lack of reciprocality

. If I compromise and play in a campaign that I am only moderatly inerested in I expect the players to do the same in turn. I will not be the only person to budge and play something that only moderatly inteested me. I suggested a later (we are talking 3 or 4 months when the campaign comes to an end) game of Buffy or Mage or maybe something GURPS - I basically was told "OK nothing wrong with your GMing but I won't play Mage I can't stand the cosmology -- the second players told me he wouldn't play Buffy period.

They sneered "so you just want GURPS" This pissed me off so I replied "not true I would happily play syatem that game me the options I want HARP,Rolemaster with fate points, GURPS, BESM -- something else.

This shut them up -- they ignored my "options" remark with some double talk so I dropped it

I came to the conclusion if I play what you want than you play what I want --
It didn't work that way. What I wanted to say but didn't was Now  I have no problem with "play what you like" is OK  just don't complain to me when I don't play and then sneer and no one shows up for games -- as they haven't been

I didn't-- but it was tempting

#5 Boring Combat

Another GNS issue in the offing
D&D combat even with the new 3x rules simply sucks for me. It is much too gamist for my tastes and while YMMV of course but I find the rules slow, miniatures driven and dull --
Uh I hit him. He takes uh 8 back and forth like a bobbing bird

I won't discuss rules issue (which I have aplenty) suffice it to say I don't like the combat system one bit

After all those objections I decided since he was expecting a long term commitment to the game I couldn't give I would just say no.

With the group as it is I am starting the search for another group-- If I don't find a group well

I can get around the GM control issue (he is very skilled as a GM) and the system issue but the lack of flexible reciprocality when I GM is a deal killer for me --

This seemed to be the biggest thing I learned tonight

I simply won't game with a group that can't handle simple stuff like Mage or Buffy or worse really juicy stuff like Trollbabe or Sorcerer or the Riddle of Steel or Dead Inside or Exlated or any of the plethora of games

If a consensus always leads to D&D than forget gaming with these guys-- I want a group where all of the members are flexible enough to play almost anything -- this one fails the test

I figure if I don't find a group I am going to walk away from gaming for a bit --a year or two--
I might keep buying a few books but I am prety much not collecting game books ever again. I learnd an expensive lesson there

-- If I support a line I will continue to do so so but if I don't have agroup playing it I will resist temptation -- I am not buying it --

If i need a game fix I have forums a plenty after all ....

Later

Anthony

PS Good to pop back in . I have been mostly lurking as frankly I have little to add here and would rather keep my mouth shut and learn something :)

clehrich

Anthony,

I agreed with everything here; it sure as hell seems like you made the right choice.

So why is this post so depressing?

I really found myself getting longer and longer in the face about the gang you're dealing with.  The GM who wants a game to be "everyone will now explore my philosophy."  The players who won't play games for pseudo-philosophical reasons.  The sneer at everything with options as GURPS.

Ugh.

Here's hoping you find someone better to game with....

Chris Lehrich
Chris Lehrich

furashgf

It could be worse.  I just found two sharp guys, posting on the board, who live here (Phoenix).  Oh, how excited I was until I learned that they were both very Simm. oriented (i.e., they' understood that and were into it).  My copies of Sorcerer will remain under wraps indefinately ;-)
Gary Furash, furashgf@alumni.bowdoin.edu
"Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans"

Lance D. Allen

Hey Furashgf,

One of the two you've contacted here. You recently re-contacted me (I think.. I got recent e-mails from you, at any rate) and I sent you back a reply. I'm interested in Narr, but my main focus is still primarily Sim, as I said. Who else have you contacted? One of my group members is an active participant here on the Forge as well, and considers himself primarily Narr.

Seriously, if you want to talk Sorcerer, I'm definitely interested. We'd just have to work out scheduling.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls