News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Game in a Day

Started by Pelgrane, October 26, 2005, 03:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelgrane

Dragonmeet 2005 will be hosting another Game in a Day event. I wondered, first if any indie publishers would be willing to offer prize support (PDFs are fine), and second, before I put the event up on our website, people's opinions of the prospective event. Until it is officially announced, I'm happy to make appropriate changes.

In previous years, we've just gather a bunch of people in a room with some professional game designers and allowed them to produce a single game between them. This year, we've taken note of what other similar events entail, made it competitive, and offered a decent prize. Finally, if you are interested in joining the event as an individual or part of a team, please let me know. Details follow:

This year we will be relaunching the Dragonmeet Game in a Day Challenge (GID 2005). With only a little pre-preparation, entrants will be expected to create a playable roleplaying game on the day of Dragonmeet, and present a hard copy to the judges for prize presentation after the auction. In a change from previous GIDs, this year's will be a competitive event, and we'd like people to book in advance. Experienced RPG developers will be coming round during the day to assist you. Each team can consist of one to four members, and can include developers, artists, editors and layout people.

The nature of the game is determined by selecting key words; one from the first group, one from the second. You can mull over these in advance of the day. Additional instructions which might affect the mechanics and theme of the game will be presented on the day. These instructions might even make your original ideas redundant, so don't depend too much on preparation!

redemption, virtue, cthonic
spirit, parasite, element, color

The winning team (or entrant) will receive a £100 cash prize we think you should use to develop and prepare the game for publication, although you can spend it on wine, chips and gravy if you prefer. If the winners so desire, Pelgrane Press will publish the developed winning entry as a PDF on the rpgnow.com website. The prize will only be awarded if at least one game reaches the minimum standard set by the judges. 60% of the marks will be awarded for the game itself, 40% for the clarity of the writing, the presentation and general chutzpah of the entry (the name of the game, for example).

To enter, email simonwork@profantasy.com with the following details:

1. If you are an individual who wants to join a team, let us know in what capacity you want to participate for example game developer, layout artist, artist, editor, proofer, writer or combination thereof. We'll find you a team if you want one.

2. If you are a team, let us know who the member(s) are, what they do, and whether you'd like anyone spares to join.

The event will only occur if we have at least three teams pre-booked.
--
Simon Rogers
Pelgrane Press Ltd
ProFantasy Software Ltd

Gregor Hutton

Sounds like a great idea and Game In A Day is something that is, for me at least, closely associated with Dragonmeet. Best of luck in getting teams, and I hope it's a success. To that end the cash prize can't hurt.

I won't be about for the end of the con (I'll have to leave at about 7 to catch my flight home) but I eagerly await to see what the teams come up with on the day.

As long as the venue is well signposted and you have resources on site for the teams (paper, pens, computers, printers?) then it should be good to go.

Maybe you should have some checkpoints during the day to see how well each team is progressing at set intervals (could give you an idea of who stars hot because of preparation before the day, and who pulls through during the event?).

Paul Czege

Hey Simon,

Who are the judges?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Pelgrane

Excellent suggestions, thank you.

Provisionally, the judges will include James Wallis formerly of Hogshead, me and at least one or two British game designers.

Simon

Malcolm Craig

Simon,

Myself and some of the Contested Ground Studios crew will be down at Dragonmeet doing our usual pimping of a|state and so forth. If there's anything we can do to help out with this, please don't hesitate to get in touch. This was something we tried at this years Conpulsion in Edinburgh (modelled on previous Dragonmeet events), they're good fun and well worth the effort.

Cheers
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios
www.contestedground.co.uk

Part of the Indie Press Revolution

Pelgrane

Quote from: Malcolm on October 27, 2005, 01:53:50 PM
Simon,

Myself and some of the Contested Ground Studios crew will be down at Dragonmeet doing our usual pimping of a|state and so forth. If there's anything we can do to help out with this, please don't hesitate to get in touch. This was something we tried at this years Conpulsion in Edinburgh (modelled on previous Dragonmeet events), they're good fun and well worth the effort.

Cheers
Malcolm

We need designers and layout people to help out with advice during the day. Just popping in to chat to the teams would be great, although I might ask for more.