News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Erm... Hello.

Started by Scratchware, May 14, 2002, 12:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchware

I am... you could say.... a gamer.

I do not play Diablo or any non-RPG game that thinks it's an RPG. I love D&D even though the D6 Starwars is WAY better. If anyone would umm... MAKE A GENERAL FORUM! I DON'T KNOW WHERE THIS POST GOES! AHHHH!
"I refuse to date a girl who would rather play Baldur's Gate than be with me... wait, that didn't come out right".

Henry Fitch

I've often thought that I'd like to post something at the Forge, but it would have to go into the general forum, which isn't extant. Still, I dunno, a general forum wouldn't be... forgey. This is really a rather focused environment, and I think that's how Ron intends it. Not libertarian-moderated like RPGnet. Frankly, a "general forum" post probably belongs better there. Too bad the signal-to-yahoo ratio is so much lower...
formerly known as Winged Coyote

Gordon C. Landis

There's actually a THREAD to say "hello" in, in a focused way -
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=843
Don't forget to read "the rules", but no one's going to beat you up for minor transgressions . . .

Gordon
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Scratchware

Well in that case, hello all RPG fans and fellow nerds (not all RPG fans are nerds because of that pile of crap Diablo so I must state it as.. the way I have stated it)..

:)
"I refuse to date a girl who would rather play Baldur's Gate than be with me... wait, that didn't come out right".

Ron Edwards

Hi Scratchware, and welcome to the Forge.

You said you liked D&D - well, since this is Actual Play, tell us why. What was the last session like? Don't give a blow-by-blow account of the storyline, but tell us what it was like, what elements of play or interactions among the group were plain old fun, on the spot.

Which D&D was it? Why that one, in particular?

Best,
Ron

Scratchware

Actually, I haven't played for about 3 weeks. I have however played Starwars D6 which is similar to playing D&D but the battle system is WAY better and it is set in the Starwars universe (more fun I think).

But I will explain my first campaign that I ever played.

We had 3 players (including me) and Anthony was the DM. I was a Female Cleric with an attitude. Doug was a fighter (as usual) and Eric was a mage (as usual). BTW, when I say as usual it is because they now always play what they did then while I get to taste some variety (druid is one thing I have not been however).

We went through the initial D&D campaign that came with in the box (you know, the one where you get to meet Elminster). It was kinda fun for me but my companions were complaining... I could say I used about a million "Cure Light Wounds" on them.

Eric, the mage, died a couple times when we had to fight the 6 giant spiders. Even though we were level 2, our intelligence made up for it and we defeated them. It was so awesome! Here is what happened:
We entered a large room in the cavern and found some huge spider webs. We quietly went in (with me being a half elf that wasn't hard). We went to the other side of the room and tried to get up into an elevated doorway. After we all climbed up there were some glowing eyes. It is safe to say that we all freaked... The spider charged us while another moved in from the back. Eric used shield to guard us while Doug put on his invisible ring. I sat and pouted.... I AM A FREAKING CLERIC! AHHHH! I took out my sling and started pounding them. Eric used magic missle and Doug slashed with his sword. We killed the first one but not without Eric dying. Without our party leader me and doug had to work some plans up. I stared shooting with my sling to make it back out of the hole. Then me and doug jumped out and moved around it to the back. Seing as how Doug found a bow earlier in the campaign and I could enchant my stones, I set his arrows on fire and enchanted my bullets and we fired into the center of the web structer which happened to be on the ceiling. The whole place was burning while we turned to the last spider with an evil look on our faces. WE FIRED!

After that we picked up Eric and ran out of the cavern and back into town. Luckily we had a TON of money so we spent it on reviving him.

That is what my first D&D session was like.

EDIT: This was 2nd edition D&D by the way.

Ron Edwards

Hey,

Ummm, OK, but if you look at my last post, you'll see that you didn't answer my question at all. You did exactly what I asked you not to do.

To put it gently, I don't care much about what your character did and who killed what. What I care about is, as I said before:

... tell us what it was like, what elements of play or interactions among the group were plain old fun, on the spot.

The character is fictional; there is no "what it was like" for the character. I'm interested in what it was like for you. When I say "interactions among the group," I don't mean the characters. I mean the players and the GM.

Also, another thing I asked was why the group was playing AD&D2 (as it turns out). I mean this literally. It's not that you should or shouldn't have played it, but I'm interested in how it happened that you did. Did one member of the group already play, and just say that that's what it would be? Or did you all decide upon that one, after looking at a bunch of games? Or what?

Best,
Ron

Scratchware

Oh, I knew that but it was so fun I thought I would share it. :)

I didn't like the battle system too much because they mixed perception and knowledge and combined them into wisdom.. That is stupid. There are also some other bugs but I am kind of fried right now so I can't remember them.

All I can say after playing Starwars is....

PLAY STARWARS!

Ron Edwards

Hello Scratchware,

I'd like to ask you a big favor. When you're writing a new post, write it in a word-processing program, then paste it into the forum box later. This gives you a chance to read it over before posting.

In other words, unless I'm wrong, you're basically reading what I write, then slamming an answer in as soon as you're done. I wish you wouldn't do that, so we can have a conversation instead of you just blurting out whatever pops into your head.

As a general rule, I'd appreciate it if you didn't post at all when you feel fried. Think about it - would you be interested in what you have to say then?

Now here's my question for you. Several times, you've written that you like the Star Wars D6 system. Guess what? A bunch of people here at the Forge have played it - they may even have played it before you were born, depending on how old you are. So they will have a lot to talk about, with you.

But they won't do that unless you can offer something more substantial about your experience with it besides "Play Star Wars!" in big letters. Don't do that again, by the way. It's equivalent to shouting, and there ain't no shouting allowed here.

So tell me - and wait until you're not fried, and write the answer out first in a word-processing progam - what do you enjoy about playing Star Wars D6? Again, I don't care about your character. I'm interested in why you like that particular game, as a person engaged in role-playing.

Best,
Ron

Jake Norwood

Okay, so no one asked, but I really do like this system, and I was very dissapointed when they d20'd it (and when they d20'd Deadlands, and Cthulu, and my dog, and my cat, and my brother, and my FLGS, and everything else...be safe knowing that The Riddle of Steel is a d20-free product line, so help me Xanar, and Triumph, and Fahal...).

It's been a good two years since I played it, but I remember every game being fun.

First off, it's Star Wars. That has to be said. You've got stormtroopers, and lightsabers, and blasters, and hyperspace, and you've got that one player that goes "yub yub" instead of talking, because he's a friggin ewok (or a Wookie, or an R2 unit, or whatever). And you have the force.

What made the force special, though, wasn't the powers. Although they were pretty cool, many of them were too weak too early on (I wanted to play a JEDI, not a friggin Padawan with 4 midichlorians... ugh... midichlorians... dammit George!). It was the pull of the Dark side. It was "Join me, Obi-wan, and together, we'll eliminate the Sith..." or whatever. The mechanic beautifully handled the gradual fall of the Dark side and it's temptations (in the form of dice, of course).

Next, as many of you can guess, I'm a system monkey. I love dice, tables, and numbers, but I also like universality and "transparency" of system. The SW mechanic was very easy to pick up, had a "wild die" that made throwing dice fun, and had the most elegant system for ranged combat and generic multiple-action-in-one-round resolution that I've ever come accross. It was an extremely flexible system, IMO.

The dogfight rules were fun, too, as I recall, though I can't elaborate as it's been too long.

The game wasn't perfect (what is?), but it was fun, and it felt like SW to me--more than Episode One did, that's for sure.

Oh, and Scratchware--welcome to the Forge. I'm pretty new here, too, and it took me a while to get into all of this meta-GNS-IC-OOC gobly-gook, but the discussions here generally are quite meaningful (although GNS still gives me a friggin headache).

Pax Vobiscum,
Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Scratchware

I am sorry, again.

Okay.  In the Starwars D6 system, you don't have any HP, you have health status (wounded, stunned, icapacitated, etc..), so mages can't be killed by being kicked (even though their are no mages). This allows people to actually fear a blaster to their head. Their are no super-humans! Yay!
They also modified the ability scores as follows:
Dexterity, Knowledge, Mechanical, Perception, Strength, and Technical. (Notice they broke Wisdom up into Perception and Technical which is really nice).

Then they went and threw out classes. Instead they use Template Types. "Wookie Arms Trader" would be one example even though you wouldn't want to be a Wookie Arms Trader (I would know, I got slapped around for that).

Anyone have any comments that I forgot about D6?

Bankuei

I think you're missing the point.  Ron's not asking about the system, but more of "How did the game work for you and your group?"  Notice that the focus is on the interreaction between you, your friends, and the rules, more than one or the other.

Chris

xiombarg

I'm gonna jump in here.

Quote from: ScratchwareI am sorry, again.
Don't worry about it, the Forge takes some getting used to. Be sure to read other threads so you get some idea of the "style" around here.

QuoteOkay.  In the Starwars D6 system, you don't have any HP, you have health status (wounded, stunned, icapacitated, etc..), so mages can't be killed by being kicked (even though their are no mages). This allows
Right, okay, the same reasons most people hate HP systems.

Quotepeople to actually fear a blaster to their head. Their are no super-humans! Yay!
Do you mean by this that there aren't anyone with a superhuman amount of endurance, who can therefore take an unrealistic amount of damage? I almost asked you: "Then what are aliens?" but I think you were still talking about the hit point issue. Am I right?

This begs a question, then: Why is this good? People in the movies seems to fear blasters, but in the same way I fear a pool of ice-cold water. That is, they don't want to be hit by blasters, but this doesn't stop them from diving into a firefight at the drop of a hat, just like I don't hesitate to jump into a pool if I need to, I just avoid it if I can...

Is it "realism" that makes this better? Should Star Wars be realistic?

QuoteThey also modified the ability scores as follows:
Dexterity, Knowledge, Mechanical, Perception, Strength, and Technical. (Notice they broke Wisdom up into Perception and Technical which is really nice).
Okay, great, D6 has more attributes. Why is this good? Why is this arrangement inherently better than, say, the following system:

Cool: The ability for the character to remain calm, and to do suave social things.
Luck: The character's affinity for dumb luck.
Force: The character's affinity for nifty Force tricks.
Lore: Knowledge. Book learning. Technical know-how.

Han Solo would have a high Cool, the C-3PO and Artoo would have high Luck and Lore, and Luke would have high Luck and high Force.

I guess the question is: Why does the particular division of attributes in D6 Star Wars speak to you?

QuoteThen they went and threw out classes. Instead they use Template Types. "Wookie Arms Trader" would be one example even though you wouldn't want to be a Wookie Arms Trader (I would know, I got slapped around for that).
Um, okay. How are templates better than classes? What's wrong with classes? For that matter, aren't templates just classes under a different name?

Myself, my favorite element of the D6 Star Wars system is the wildly unpredictable results that are created by the "Wild Die" -- this reminds me of the sudden reverals and rollercoaster elements of the films, and is a good Simulationist mechanic in that fashion.
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

leomknight

I loved playing StarWars D6 when it was out. The rules were so simple and straightforward. It was easy to GM, too, because eveything was handled by a single mechanic. It made winging it easy and fun. One of my favorite roleplaying experiences was winging a raid on a Imperial detention center. My players just said "Let's rescue this guy's family!" and before you could say Kessel Run, off they went. It was great trying to keep up.

The only problem I had was (downcast look) I don't add quickly. This led to awkward pauses as I tried frantically to add up the pips on 7 dice, while the players could do it in microseconds. It seemed all my players were Rain Man: "Yeah, 27. Definitely 27. 10 minutes to Wapner." Drove me nuts.

I used their Hercues/Xena system, which later became DC Roleplaying. Essentially, it simplified the mechanics by using special dice. Each die had 4 successes and 2 failures. The wild die had special failure and success faces. Just count up the successes, more is better. Very fun, and saved me from further math embarassment.

I've tried the D20 system, and it's not my cup of tea. It's a tremendous step forward from AD&D, but there are still too many fiddly little special cases for my taste. They've tried to create "classless classes" for CoC, but you still have that level thing, where first levels are cannon fodder, and twenieth levels are demi- gods.

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Doing great, Scratchware! No need to apologize. This is good.

If I'm not mistaken, Star Wars was the first "dice pool" game. The number on the sheet was simply the number of D6's you picked up and rolled. No adding attribute to the total. No trying to roll under the attribute. It was just, "Pick up and roll."

Am I mistaken? I might be missing some game or another, but as far as I can remember, until then, it was either 3d6 to roll under a target number (TFT, Champions, GURPS), d100 (BRP, Rolemaster), or d20 (AD&D).

Kirt raised some good questions. I think the issue of character class needs a substantial workout at RPG Theory - it's definitely been cast as an either-or issue in most internet discussions, and I think we'd all agree that "classes or no classes" is simply too simplistic to describe what RPGs actually do.

Best,
Ron