The Forge Archives

Independent Game Forums => lumpley games => Topic started by: Per Fischer on September 22, 2004, 01:01:24 AM



Title: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: Per Fischer on September 22, 2004, 01:01:24 AM
My copy of DitV arrived safely through my letterbox yesterday, and I have been reading it since, family life and sleep permitting.
It looks and reads gorgeous, and I can't wait playtesting it as it is. The conlict resolution mechanics sound awesome in theory - so simple and yet so versatile and scalable. And a big plus to Vincent (or whoever is responsible for the almost psalm-like layout) for choosing Oldstyle fonts and not putting any illustrations in the book. I think that's just about perfect.

Thanks, brother.


Title: Re: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: Joshua A.C. Newman on September 22, 2004, 12:13:31 PM
Quote from: pfischer
And a big plus to Vincent (or whoever is responsible for the almost psalm-like layout) for choosing Oldstyle fonts and not putting any illustrations in the book. I think that's just about perfect.


Wow, thanks!

Not to worry you, but there will be illustrations in future editions. I promise I'll make them as tasteful and integrated as I can.


Title: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: DannyK on September 22, 2004, 12:29:00 PM
I was thinking as I read through the example combat in the barn that "this is where they'd usually have a picture of some people fighting."  But then I thought, my mental image was as good as anything that could have been drawn.  I would like more pictures of Dogs, though, to let folks leaf through it and be inspired, but that would be gravy.


Title: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: Joshua A.C. Newman on September 22, 2004, 01:18:11 PM
Quote from: DannyK
I was thinking as I read through the example combat in the barn that "this is where they'd usually have a picture of some people fighting."  But then I thought, my mental image was as good as anything that could have been drawn.  I would like more pictures of Dogs, though, to let folks leaf through it and be inspired, but that would be gravy.


Ah, no, not that kind of illustration at all.

Don't worry. It'll look great, and it won't be obnoxious, neither.


Title: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: lumpley on September 22, 2004, 01:25:16 PM
Per: thank you! I'm glad it's there.

I quite like the unillustrated book too.

-Vincent


Title: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: Joshua A.C. Newman on September 22, 2004, 06:00:14 PM
Quote from: lumpley
Per: thank you! I'm glad it's there.

I quite like the unillustrated book too.

-Vincent


Hey! Who's side you on?


Title: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: lumpley on September 23, 2004, 09:05:11 AM
I'm on the game's side. Whose side are YOU on?

Zing!

I had great conversations at GenCon with some really smart people about illustrations. We flipped through some books, compared what worked and what didn't. I sucked up a lot of wisdom. When we add illos to the book, they're going to be just right.

-Vincent


Title: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: Ron Edwards on September 23, 2004, 09:16:03 AM
Hey Vincent,

Count this as a vote for full-page illustrations with some kind of neat scrolled frames, like a 19th-century portrait - or better, photograph, with the people sitting or standing stiffly.

Also, have you considered using a larger font size? The look of the book is great, reminds me of a religious tract. Larger print, though, is what I keep wanting as I actually read it. It's not a vision, can-I-read-it thing, but rather an information, this-stuff-is-here thing.

Best,
Ron


Title: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: lumpley on September 23, 2004, 09:45:33 AM
I have. To both!

-Vincent


Title: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: DannyK on September 23, 2004, 11:03:27 AM
I liked the size too.  It made me think of old-style political pamphlets.  The very complete reference sheet that you include with the rulebook makes up for a lot in terms of convenience.


Title: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: Joshua A.C. Newman on September 23, 2004, 11:09:43 AM
Quote from: Ron Edwards
Hey Vincent,

Count this as a vote for full-page illustrations with some kind of neat scrolled frames, like a 19th-century portrait - or better, photograph, with the people sitting or standing stiffly.


Ha ha! You read my brains! Except that we can't get 19th century overbearing with the borders. The way it is on the cover was the compromise between modern sensibilities and 19th century ornamentation.

Quote
Also, have you considered using a larger font size? The look of the book is great, reminds me of a religious tract. Larger print, though, is what I keep wanting as I actually read it. It's not a vision, can-I-read-it thing, but rather an information, this-stuff-is-here thing.


I hadn't really thought of that, but then, I don't really read the words so much as look at them as a shape. I don't see why not, and if it makes it easier to find stuff, then great.


Title: #52 arrived safely in Scotland
Post by: Christopher Weeks on September 24, 2004, 12:52:06 PM
I was thinking illustrations would be cool as half-page pieces each of which was a catalog entry from early Sears and Roebucks (or DI?) catalogs.  I have a vision in mind that I don't know how to convey, but it's novel and cool. :-)

Chris