Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2021, 05:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4285 Members Latest Member: - Jason DAngelo Most online today: 91 - most online ever: 565 (October 17, 2020, 02:08:06 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Appropriate topic for the Forge?  (Read 4473 times)
Andrew Morris

« on: January 15, 2005, 11:01:35 AM »

Hey, I was uncertain if it would be appropriate to start a "Who's going to Dreamation 2005?" thread. I'd like to know who's going to be there, so I can arrange to meet some posters -- just connecting faces to names, you know?

Anyway, would that topic be acceptable here, and if so, which forum should it be posted in?

Download: Unistat
TonyLB

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 11:59:36 AM »

This is probably more appropriate in "Conventions".  I'll point you to the Indie Games Explosion thread there, which is all about Dreamation2005.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 01:10:43 PM »

Hello,

Best thing to do when you're unsure to post a thread here is to ask me.

Also, please note the Sticky in the Conventions forum, which outlines the focus there. "Hey, who's going" is not a good topic. See if you can cast your interest in Dreamation into another form.

Best,
Ron
Lxndr
Acts of Evil Playtesters

Master of the Inkstained Robes

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 01:45:02 PM »

Would it be out of place in Connections?

Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 01:53:38 PM »

Hello,

Yeah, it would be out of place there too. The Forge is not a message board or a social-services board. The Connections forum is about concrete services, not hangin' out or planning get-togethers without stated purposes.

Regarding meeting people at conventions specifically, though, I don't think it's asking too much to frame a post in the Conventions forum in accordance with the guidelines there. Those guidelines are extremely constructive, and in my view, if you can't re-cast the post according to them, there really wasn't much reason to ask "who's going" in the first place.

Best,
Ron
Andy Kitkowski

I LIKE GAMES

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 02:22:28 PM »

Quote from: Ron Edwards
Regarding meeting people at conventions specifically, though, I don't think it's asking too much to frame a post in the Conventions forum in accordance with the guidelines there.

What I'm getting here is that it's not kosher if it's just "who's going".  But if you plan a gathering, even an informal one, for "Forgites/others to meet and discuss indie games in an informal workshop environment"*, then that's kosher. Or if you plan a gaming session or other "event" or "item with an agenda".

-Andy

* "Drink beers and bitch about D&D" :-)

The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 07:11:12 PM »

Andy's right. It's about constructive activity of some kind - by posting a new thread in Conventions or Connections, you are committing to success in that activity.

Best,
Ron
Andrew Morris

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 06:58:24 AM »

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't planning any sort of event, I just wanted to find out who would be there and arrange to meet them, so the topic would not be appropriate.

My questions have been answered. In the future I will message you, Ron, rather than starting a new thread.

Download: Unistat
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: