Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 08, 2022, 06:08:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4285 Members Latest Member: - Jason DAngelo Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 565 (October 17, 2020, 02:08:06 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Narrativist CharGen with Gamist Mechanics Behind it?  (Read 7898 times)
Incendiary

Call me Dan.

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 11:50:41 PM »

I'm trying to put mechanics behind the narration, and I don't like the idea of limiting the players in this portion of character creation, but I also want to avoid abuse. Do limits inhibit narrative play?

I like your idea of the players answering specific questions but giving them some flexibility. Limits *inspire* creativity - many projects (books, movies, games) fail because the lack of limits causes the author to stuff things in at random rather than edit carefully or listen to the advice of others. (That's why Star Wars original films are better than the prequels, IMO - everyone was too scared to tell Lucas when to rein it in). Limits can spark off ideas and give players something to work from. In fact, 'limits' is probably not the word - just call them 'seeds' or 'conditions' or something :)

Currently working on: a fun, action-packed RPG with plenty of player involvement in story shaping and a context-sensitive D6 system.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: