Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2022, 12:44:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4285 Members Latest Member: - Jason DAngelo Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 565 (October 17, 2020, 02:08:06 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Insurrection] Power 19.  (Read 1686 times)
MJGraham

« on: April 13, 2007, 05:54:18 AM »

Here is my attempt at answering the Power 19 for my game called Insurrection:

1.) What is your game about?**<2.) What do the characters do?**<3.) What do the players (including the GM if there is one) do?**<4.) How does your setting (or lack thereof) reinforce what your game is about?<5.) How does the Character Creation of your game reinforce what your game is about?<6.) What types of behaviors/styles of play does your game reward (and punish if necessary)?
It rewards a style of play that places what kind of person a character is at the forefront. It is concerned not with what your character can do but with what kind of a person he can become.

7.) How are behaviors and styles of play rewarded or punished in your game?
Challenges faced by characters are resolved by drawing two different coloured beads from an opaque bag. During play participants add beads to the bad so as to impact upon the others players chances of success. Players who meet the goal of doing what is inspirational while at the same time approaching it with the tension that exists between their virtues and emotions are rewarded with more positive coloured dice and thereby have a greater chance of succeeding.

An example might be a character that becomes angry at the sight of a young teenager being treated unjustly and violently by a member of the watch. His anger may help him achieve the justice he wants but it may also be the cause of him going too far and murdering the member of the watch. If the players feel that this approach incorporates the kind of tension that the character would feel (i.e. is he really prone to anger and does he really care about justice?); if they feel that anger and the desire for justice would help the character win a fight against the member of the watch at this time; if they  feel that fighting an armed member of the watch to save a young teenager is really the kind of thing to inspire the downtrodden populace with the setting to fight back against their oppressors then they player running the character will receive the maximum amount of extra positively coloured beads from the other participants.

8.) How are the responsibilities of narration and credibility divided in your game?<<10.) What are the resolution mechanics of your game like?
Players draw coloured beads from an opaque bag and get different results depending upon the combination of colours drawn.

11.) How do the resolution mechanics reinforce what your game is about?<12.) Do characters in your game advance? If so, how?<13.) How does the character advancement (or lack thereof) reinforce what your game is about?
The game is about the tension that exists between a characters virtue and the emotions from which they are derived. Character advancement reinforces what the game is about by focusing in on the ways that the characters will deal with this tension.

14.) What sort of product or effect do you want your game to produce in or for the players?
I hope that it will create pathos between players and characters. I want the participants to care or at least empathize with their characters in the same way that they would for characters from their favourite books and movies.

15.) What areas of your game receive extra attention and color? Why?
Tragedy in a very non-Aristotlean way in that as much as the characters are fated to die it is not their flaws which bring about their tragedy. I want the participants to not wonder why their characters must face great tragedy. I want them to ask themselves what kind of person their characters will choose to be when the inevitable arises.

16.) Which part of your game are you most excited about or interested in? Why?<
My game has a rather existentialist focus. It encourages players to take responsibility for the kind of person their character becomes.

18.) What are your publishing goals for your game?
My goal is to make the game available on PDF and to have a small print run.

19.) Who is your target audience?
Fantasy roleplayers who are dissatisfied with characters personalities/dispositions being overshadowed by their attributes and/or skills. My target audience are the kind of players who (as an example) are more concerned with how they could allow their characters to become so vicious and self-serving rather then those who wonder what is the best spell to defeat a vampire lord.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: