Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2022, 01:32:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4285 Members Latest Member: - Jason DAngelo Most online today: 76 - most online ever: 565 (October 17, 2020, 02:08:06 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Something in the ether?  (Read 2105 times)
Seth L. Blumberg

« on: June 12, 2002, 08:50:13 AM »

Is it just me, or have there been an unusual number of incidents where someone flamed out and needed a bucket of water dumped on him by a moderator lately?

Any idea why?

the gamer formerly known as Metal Fatigue
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2002, 08:55:52 AM »

Hi Seth,

Nope, not more often than would be expected given the recent influx of people on the Forge. Some of the over-stepping has merely been do to unfamiliarity with the guidelines (in practice), some has to do with the usual cognitive-dissonance with a lot of the concepts thrown around here, and some has to do with regulars reacting to either of those effects.

If there's one thing I'd really like people to do, it would be to write posts in some other program first, and really read over them before posting them into the Forge. Composing posts actually into the Forge window has a way of becoming dangerous:
1. Type concept X.
2. Respond, oneself, emotionally, to potential reactions to concept X (remember, you're still typing).
3. Repeat or alter concept X right then and there.
4. Defend concept X against an imagined assault, often without stating that assault.

Sure would be nice to see less of that. It lends itself to a much more insidious and difficult thing, which is the tendency to enjoy a state of being pissed-off. This is a common thing on the internet and I don't care for it much; the habits of writing that I describe above have, as I say, a tendency to evolve into this highly negative and self-perpetuating behavior.

Best,
Ron
Mike Holmes
Acts of Evil Playtesters

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2002, 11:32:11 AM »

My time of the month.

Mike

Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: