Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2021, 04:41:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4285 Members Latest Member: - Jason DAngelo Most online today: 93 - most online ever: 565 (October 17, 2020, 02:08:06 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [IAWA] Excerpts of AP and some Q's  (Read 1595 times)
Valvorik

« on: February 25, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »

some of these names are backfille

DainXB

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:03:31 PM »

This makes a great story!  Very 'Conan-esque' in style.  I particularly like the narration of the big battle scene in the first chapter;  it's an excellent example of how to do a battle -- the characters take action, but the in-story results are sweeping engagements of armies.  (There was a thread somewhere around here about how to use that technique in Sorcerer and Sword, but AP makes the concept come to life in a way that theoretical discussions can't.)

I find it interesting that the players emptied out the Owe list at the start of chapter two.  Was everyone so engaged with their chapter one character that they wanted to continue with them immediately, or was it that no one felt that the new oracle characters for chapter two were that compelling?

It's also interesting that Balashi, who seems like the 'Conan' of the story, the linchpin character, didn't make it onto the Owe list at all and had to continue in chapter two by using the 'Mekha-option'. 

A thought on that last:  striking an entry off the Owe list to buy-into a chapter is a price paid;  getting in by using an oracle entry is a price paid too:  character development you hadn't planned for.  (Mekha's serpent-demoness bride, Balashi's back-story as a pirate.)  I hadn't considered it that way until I asked my question above -- the decision for the player is "Are you so taken with this character that you will accept an untoward development of some sort, just to get the chance to play him again?"  That's a cool choice to have to make -- and it functions like a kicker, driving the story.

I hope you get the chance to play more of this story, and that you will post the AP when you do.  I want to find out what happens next!  Smiley

--
DainXB
Valvorik

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »

Balashi's player (old friend from high school now living on other side of country, we scripted made up fights between fantasy nations in high school even before finding RPG's) was pretty much using strongest dice every time - every fight For Myself, Violence and Bellowing!  But he played so fun, rolled with being the character who would do that (e.g., walking into betrayal), it wasn't annoying.

Everyone was pretty much determined to play same PC, even Hadir's player who struggled to "find him" and didn't really until 2nd chapter.  I'm not sure Damrina's player ever really felt he was more than "surfing along". 

I explained "PC continuity not guaranteed, if not on owe list must accept oracle's offerings of things to write into your character" and people said "if that's the price okay".

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: