Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2021, 03:18:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4285 Members Latest Member: - Jason DAngelo Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 565 (October 17, 2020, 02:08:06 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Trollbabe] First play, two trollbabes at Otun's Belch  (Read 2244 times)
Christian

« on: February 21, 2009, 03:40:40 PM »

i]including prep<
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:15:32 PM »

Hi Christian,

I might use your preparation material as a teaching guide for the game. Otun's Belch is a geyser! Who would have thought it ...

You were absolutely right about the Goal in the first conflict. In the new rules text, I explain the relationship between Action Type and Goal in detail. One of the most important points is that you can't accomplish anything socially by fighting. Fighting hurts, subdues, and kills other people, and if doing that solves the situation, then it works well. But if you want to impress the chieftain or make it clear to the tribe that you're not hostile, and the young hot-head is shaking his spear in your face, then announce a Social conflict and describe thrashing the youngster during Fair and Clear.

Your self-criticisms of the first scene seem too harsh to me. You played it the way you played it, and in Trollbabe, never base GM decisions upon looking ahead or thinking about what will make a better story later. That kind of "make it good for later" GMing can be completely abandoned, and frankly, good riddance. You can GM your characters as viscerally and in-the-moment as the other participants are playing their trollbabes. In this, Trollbabe is a lot like Sorcerer.

chance.thirteen

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 12:48:39 PM »

I would just like to compliment this excellent description of play and associated thought processes.

And your English is far more eloquent than mine.
Christian

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:48:32 AM »

Thank you for your answers and comments.

Ron, I think I played the NPC quite like you say, the "don't make it good for later" advice is useful. Play in the moment (well, Story Now).
As for the use of my prep, I can only say that it would be with pleasure, go ahead.
What helped me here is my Adventure Prep Cheat Sheet... I need to revise it, but I like that I just have to litteraly "fill in the blanks"...

This confuses me a little bit, but I think the solution lies in what Nath's goal was. When you say "joined the conflict," do you mean, had the same goal as the first trollbabe? Because you should treat the two conflicts entirely independently - there's no such thing as "help the other trollbabe win her conflict," in rules terms, although that can be what is happening in the trollbabe's mind and also can be factored into narration without a problem. Unless I'm misunderstanding the example, the second trollbabe's Goal would have been simply fighting the crow. The current rules don't explain any of this, but in the new write-up, I devote a lot of space to all the ways that multiple trollbabes may participate in conflicts.

I think I got confused with Conflict rules with multiple trollbabes.
Nath goal was to make the shadow-bird go away.
It went this way :
JP : I use magic to see what's on the island
Me : Conflict! There's a shadow bird attacking you.
Nath : I attack (magically) the shadow-bird

At this point I didn't quite know how to rule it, my thoughts were (1):
- the conflict as begun, so the score to use is fixed to Magic (for JP and for Nath)
- but there is no snap magic
- so Nath can throw stones or whatever, but rolls Magic (why not, the opponent is magical after all)
But I think something's wrong in my reasoning here.

Maybe the solution is (2):
- the conflict has begun but Nath can initiate her own conflict, Fight or Social, happening at the same time, I just overinterpreted the rules for Conflicts here (the fixed score thing)

Or (3):
- Ok go ahead, roll Magic and use Magic, you didn't start the use of Magic so this is legal (regard the no-snap-magic rule)

What is/are the correct answers, (1)/(2)/(3) ?

Thank you,

Christian
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: