Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2021, 05:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4285 Members Latest Member: - Jason DAngelo Most online today: 89 - most online ever: 565 (October 17, 2020, 02:08:06 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [DitV] Neat character sheet  (Read 1991 times)
Jumanji83

« on: March 25, 2009, 08:18:10 AM »

I stumbled upon this today, and had to share!

http://spaceanddeath.com/geekgrrl/chase.pdf

David Artman

Designer & Producer

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:32:13 AM »

VERY nice design.

Out of curiosity... have you ever used sheet protectors and dry-erase pens? It's pretty much my standard setup, for games with resource tracking (HP, mana, action pool, Artha spent, etc). It might also work for you for Dogs... though I am surprised that you find Traits and Relationships changing that often, not to mention Attributes. I've played a Dog in four serial games without shifting more than a die or two in a Trait, and never lost a Relationship.

Also (God, don't take this as all thread crapping--just food for thought), I kind of like leaving enough space to actually cross-out the old die value and write the new, when making up a character. That way, i have an at-a-glance record of all his or her trials and tribulations. I see the scratched out "2d8" and the following "2d6" and I recall what caused that Fallout. I see a Belonging completely struck out and recall when it was lost or destroyed and the circumstances surrounding it.

Anyhow, beautiful work... I'd use it as-is, no cutout (adding in fields for Attributes, Coat, and maybe some dividing lines) and just try to leave space to keep a history. Did you consider landscape layout--I find it's better for having some reference charts along the bottom, but still leaving WIDE areas for writing wordy Traits.

Designer - GLASS, Icehouse Games
Editor - Perfect, Passages
Jumanji83

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »

You sound like you are under the impression that I designed that sheet or that I wrote the little paragraph above. Not so. I stumbled upon a blog while googling stuff, and thought I'd bring this to you guys' attention, thought it was neat. The quoted paragraph is from the blog itself.

I'm afraid I haven't played enough Dogs yet to be able to formulate an informed opinion about fallout management.
Brand_Robins

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 02:50:20 PM »

J,

Thanks for the nod!

David,

I'm the one who made the sheet. To answer questions:

1) Yes, as I said on the blog, we frequently use sheet protectors and dry erase markers. For many games they work quite well, but for Dogs they tend to end up a mess in short order. Plus, I like pencils. Thus the reason the Dogs sheet is different in design than, say, the Unknown Armies or Wushu sheets that I'd done.

2) I've played a lot of Dogs, and often traits get messed about with -- but the most common thing to change is dice numbers. But new stuff gets added all the time. The result of which is that if you're using a sheet protector it ends up a mess, you have to reprint the sheet often, and if you're doing a new color sheet every game it can get hungry on the color print cartridge. (Its interesting to note the degree of color and graphic intensiveness between character sheets I designed when I was using the color laser printer at work and when I was using my own desk jet at home....)

3) I did at one point think about shifting the sheet to landscape next time I did it, as towards the end of game things were getting a little cramped. But then we have a tendency towards longer trait names, so I'm not sure how universal that'd be.

- Brand Robins
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: