Main Menu

Sorcerer and Satan II

Started by Judd, July 10, 2013, 12:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

I've been tinkering with this idea for some years now (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?253749-Sorcerer-Cursed-by-Satan!) and whenever something new comes up about it, I mentally jot it down. Rob Zombie's Lords of Salem's trailer (haven't seen it yet) made me think of it again along with the Annotated Sorcerer pdf's.

I think we could do this with the standard descriptors in the book. I use the re-writing of them as too much of a world-building crutch.

Sorcery is the act of making a deal with Satan and demons are the Satanic powers given to you in the deal. Needs and Desires are what the deal demands. When a demon rebels, the deal is broken and Satan comes-a-calling to find out what happened.

Angels could be taken right out of Sorcerer and Soul. Angel-spawn, Satan-spawn could be pacted but other than that they are kind of like the THINGAMADOO's out of Sorcerer and Sword.

I'm also thinking about what version of Satan? Discovered through play? Goat-headed heavy metal album cover? Armani meets H.R. Gieger? Decided together before play or takes on a form based on the players' descriptions of their sorcerous rituals?

Anyway, thinking about Sorcerer again and how the title, Sorcerer and Satan has a nice ring to it. I believe I will get off my ass and play it this time.

edited to add "II" to thread title - RE

Ron Edwards

Hi Judd,

More to say later today, but for now, let's not forget the first thread you started here by this title, Sorcerer & Satan.

Best, Ron

Ron Edwards

Hi Judd,

These days I'm recommending to nearly everyone that they should play Sorcerer raw - just freaking do what it says in the core book and its annotations, no more of this overly-oxygenated messing about, at least not as yet.

Going by that, you'd say to the others, "Here and now; Satan," for your two statements. If you don't know what I mean by the two statements, then check out the Chapter 1 annotations (I seem to recall you totally have done so at this point).

Then have them make up characters individually. Don't even let them blither about "gee, what kind of Satan" together, that'll turn into a gamer fest of completely unhelpful meandering. Individually, as far as each person can get. Do the Sorcerer GM thing: ask questions. Get them through those diagrams. In this case, that will certainly mean getting a very clear image of what each one's sorcerery looks like, and I strongly recommend recommending to them that basic is best. Doesn't matter if "sorcerous coven" makes someone fear they are being "too normal," just stay with it and tell them not to be all so damned PoMo.

Then you, as GM, can do one of two things. Either cobble together their various interpretations and details of "Satan" on the character sheets/diagrams/demons into a big stew, or think of all of them as manifestations of something more singular and primal. Either way. I don't care. Whichever one is more satisfying given the range (or lack thereof) across the characters. Whichever one makes you feel more creative.

Don't do anything else. Remove all temptation to world-build sorcery. Remember your question about demons/existing in the previous thread? Refer to that.

Then play. 

Best, Ron