News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TROS combat on a computer

Started by Mokkurkalfe, February 29, 2004, 11:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mokkurkalfe

I have been thinking for some time about how to convert the TROS combat system into an isometric (the perspective The Sims uses) rpg. Of course, it would be completed in about ten years, at the earliest, so this topic is only for the fun of discussing.

We had another thread about this awhile back. But that was about the entire game, and I'm just thinking of the combat system now.
When I play TROS, I've had no problems using some fudging, logical reasoning and so on to solve initiative issues. But you can't do that on a computer. You need cold, hard rules.
This is my rough sketch on how to implement initiative and terrain roll.

Every round, you make a Maneuver roll. This is made with dice allocated from your CP. Archers concentrating on aiming would go last, I suppose.
The guy with the worst result (let's call him Slow) get's to decide first where to go. The guy with the better result (his name is Quick) can then decide what to do. Slow's intended movement is visible to him, so he can take his movement into account.
This is the maneuvering phase. When every one have decided where to go, it's time for the movement phase. This is where all the little guys are animated. When two guys collide, they both get to choose how to react:

Fight
Standard fighting round of 2 exchanges.
Tackle
Bump into him. Used to stun or unbalance enemies before striking them down. This is then followed by a normal fighting round.
Ride by attack
If you're faster enough then your opponent (usually because you're mounted and he's not), you can attempt a ride by attack, as described in OBAM.
Trample
The mounted version of tackle.
Partial Evade
Try to run around the opponent and continue where you where heading.
Full Evade
Throw yourself out of the way.
Stand Ground
If you're not moving too fast, i.e. running, you can choose to take a defensive stance. This means two extra dice for defence as usual, as well as increased passive protection from shields.
Use Object
This alternative would not say "Use Object". It would say "Slam door into face", "Pull curtains down on him" or "Put

The alternatives can vary from time to time. A walking person being surprised may only be able to stand ground or full evade. To ordinary humans, ridy by attacks and trampling are only available if mounted. And so on.

If two people collide there's usually a reflex roll to see who goes first. However, if a person had to parry, block or evade in the last round, he's now on the defensive. That means anyone who's *not* on the defensive will go first, unless you want to try an steal the initiative, of course.

This is not all of it, but I think it's the gist of it. What do you think? Combined with grappling as a viable alternative and a really interactive enviroment, with tables to turn over, treetrunks to hide behind and doors to slam in people's faces, it would have a desperate, vaguely swashbuckling feel to it. Not to mention how cool the realtime replays of the turn based combat would look, with good enough graphics...
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Mokkurkalfe

Use Object
This alternative would not say "Use Object". It would say "Slam door into face", "Pull curtains down on him" or "Put

Where did the rest of the sentence go? Anyway, it's supposed to say "Put the chair between him and you."
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson