News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A new magic system... again... :D

Started by Morfedel, March 19, 2004, 09:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morfedel

Hi there.

I'm working on a new magic system for my campaign. Not because I am complaining about the old one. But because I have a game world with very specific magic theories that no game really models well.

So, I thought I'd use TROS, since I'm so fond of it, but model the magic system to fit my view of this world.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me playtest it?

Thanks!

Stephen

Tell me about it; I might be interested.
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

Morfedel

Well, mechanically I'm still working on the details. However, its basically designed on the following premise:

There are 12schools of magic (well, actually, 16, but four of them are "lost" and the PCs will not be aware of them).

The schools are divided into philosophies of 4 schools each; the arts, the sciences, the elements... and the lost ones are the Dark arts. :)

Anyway; each school uses magic differently. There is a rather complex relationship, both politic and magical, between the different schools.

I have been using this actually as the "magic" for a book I'm writing. Yes, I'm writing a book. And actually, except for the final draft, its done. My critique groups think its actually pretty good, so I'll be looking for some agents soon as I finish this final draft.

Anyway: the book wasnt written for a game, but I sometimes use it as a setting when I DO run; its not a book inspired by roleplaying, but a game inspired by my book, hehe.

Problem is: no system really reflects how magic works in my world. So I need to cobble it together on my own, hehe.

Well... maybe this is a bit premature. I should have work out the mechanics a bit before I posted perhaps.