News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

BBCode/Html question

Started by clehrich, March 21, 2004, 03:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clehrich

Is there any way to do cross-references to notes?  I mean, suppose I say something about Emile Durkheim[1] and want to include that little bracketed number to cross-reference to a footnote in the same post, how do I do this?  I've been just using superscripted numbers (a little trick I learned from Fang Langford) and putting the notes at the bottom.  But it would be nice if you could click on the note number and go to the note.  I know you can do this in HTML somehow, but I don't know if it works in posts and I don't know how to do it either.

Just since I seem to be writing some very long, reference-heavy posts....

Thanks!

Chris Lehrich
Chris Lehrich

Jack Spencer Jr

There doesn't seem to be one in BBCode, but I did a quick Google on HTML footnotes and found this page. It's a little dense, but I think you can find what you need...I think.

John Kim

Here's the HTML code visible as you would type it in.  One for the reference
< a href="#note1" > [1]< /a >

And one for the note itself
< a name="#note1" > [1] < /a >

Here you can try it out. [1]

blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah

[1] Here's the explanation.
- John

M. J. Young

I believe you can also create a return loop with a bit of extra code, something like this:
< a href="#note2" > [2]< /a >< a name="place2" ></a>

And for the note itself
< a name="note2" > [2] < /a > Explanatory text. < a href="#place2" >Return to Text< /a >

That should give you:
[2]
Other text
[2] Here's the explanation.  Return to Text.

(I hope this works.)

--M. J. Young

orbsmatt

Yes, that definitely does work, but out of curiousity, where do you post topics long enough that need footnotes?  That would be rather long... :)
Matthew Glanfield
http://www.randomrpg.com" target="_blank">Random RPG Idea Generator - The GMs source for random campaign ideas

clehrich

Yes, well, take a look at some of my posts!  In particular, see the RPG Theory thread "Not Lectures on Theory."  You'll see why I asked.

Chris Lehrich
Chris Lehrich

orbsmatt

lol, that's true.  You do need footnotes!
Matthew Glanfield
http://www.randomrpg.com" target="_blank">Random RPG Idea Generator - The GMs source for random campaign ideas