News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Narrativism and Fortune mechanics

Started by taalyn, March 26, 2004, 10:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taalyn

Generally, games specifically for Narr playing see to have these few specific characteristics:

- no GM, i.e. collaborative
- resource management for conflict resolution
- conflict resolution is usually between players, not characters
- no exclusive player "ownership" of a character

Not all Narr games have those, but a good number that I've seen do, anyway.

So my question is this - are there any games that have a narr-supporting focus, but use Fortune mechanics to do so? Can you have collaborative storytelling and use Fortune mechanics (instead of Karma or Drama)?

I stumbled across Jonathan Walton's Humble Mythologies (incredibly brilliant), and this seemed like it would work, with the right kind of Fortune mechanic. That's why I'm asking. In particular, it seems like a Fortune system using the Elements (or an additional set of Elements) would be perfect.

Aidan
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

xiombarg

Perhaps I'm misreading what you mean by "Narr", but Sorcerer is generally considered Narrativist and it uses a GM and dice. Ditto Trollbabe, tho that's "vanilla Narrativist" which is a sort of different thing.
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

Michael S. Miller

I think your points only accurately describe Universalis. Other Narr games to look at are My Life with Master, The Riddle of Steel, Orkworld, heck, there's a bunch on a chart in the narrativism essay, and I think Universalis is the only one that does what you describe. Are we sure we're talking about the same thing?
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

taalyn

You guys are right. I'll go read the Narrativism article again.

That said, there's a certain kind of Narr game (which Humble Mythologies looks like), and I haven't seen any of them that use Fortune mechanics. That's what I'm asking about. Universalis is one of them, but I've seen others.

I guess I'm saying "hold on, let me read and clarify what I'm thinking about".
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural