News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Commanding Demons?

Started by Doyce, March 31, 2004, 01:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyce

I've seen several references in Actual Play to a PC 'commanding' a demon that they didn't currently have bound (specifically, that was bound to someone else).  Also, on page 41 of Sorcerer & Sword, "Commanding" is listed as a way of interacting with demons that's perfectly typical of a Sorcerer game.

Not to be too dense but what, specifically, is being referred to here?  I've pored over the Sorcerer rules looking for some option that allows a Sorcerer to command a demon in minor ways ("Stop attacking and listen to me for a second!"), et cetera, and I'm coming up empty.

Anyone?  Insight?  Am I reading too much into the term or am I assuming this has to do with other people's demons when it really just has to do with yours?
--
Doyce Testerman ~ http://random.average-bear.com
Someone gets into trouble, then get get out of it again; people love that story -- they never get tired of it.

Fabrice G.

Hello Doyce,

no, you're right. Sorcerer can command any demon. Well, he can try to.

The commanding act is different from the sorcerous acts because it is not a ritual. The mechanics are as follow : roll the sorcerer's Will vs. the demon's Will (the strengh of it's bidding to his master can enter the equation as a bonus for the demon if you have it directly oppose his orders or if you try to turn it against his master).

Take care,

Fabrice

Doyce

Excellent...

Umm... where are you quoting from, if you don't mind my asking?  It's obviously a page I keep skipping over.
--
Doyce Testerman ~ http://random.average-bear.com
Someone gets into trouble, then get get out of it again; people love that story -- they never get tired of it.

Trevis Martin

Mmmm...

I'm looking through all my books and I can't find it either.  It might be one of those added bits from the forum here.  However there is no prohibition against it in the rules either.  Most situations in the game can be broken down to a roll.  Whether trying to get a person to do what you want or a demon you would use a will vs. will roll.  For the demon however it has the added  bonus of its contract with its current master to help it resist your suggestions.

Its really just an application of the games currency.  You don't even necessarily need a roll if the demon you are commanding, bound or not, is agreeable to what the sorcerer wants, and that is GM's discretion.  If the demon is not agreeable and belongs to the Sorcerer in question then its a Will vs. Will modified one way or the other by the binding strength.  If the demon does not belong to the commanding sorcerer and is adverse to obeying, then the demon not only gets to resist but gets the bonus for his binding to his master as well.

Check this Commanding Demons thread, or this Bid? thread.

(and upon review of these it seems it was originally a ritual but was removed, though the ability remains.  Apparantly this only found its way into the book in  a couple of examples.)

regards,

Trevis

Michael S. Miller

Quote from: Trevis MartinWhether trying to get a person to do what you want or a demon you would use a will vs. will roll.  For the demon however it has the added  bonus of its contract with its current master to help it resist your suggestions.

Well, not quite, see the Intimidation part of Rollover & Intimidation Questions
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Ron Edwards

Hello,

All of the issues concerning commanding demons are already present in the rules. Sorcerers have Will; demons have Will; sorcerers may tell demons what to do. It's really no different from telling anyone what to do, in terms of the system.

Instead of saying, "Wow! Any sorcerer may command any demon! How come that's not explicit in the rules!", say, "Demons are not exempt from the effects of Will in terms of ordinary interactions."

That's why there's no special rule for it - it doesn't require one.

Best,
Ron

Ron Edwards