News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Forgie, Forger, Forgite, Smith

Started by Mark Johnson, April 04, 2004, 12:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talysman

Quote from: ValamirI'm rather partial to the Forgentsia to refer to a group.

that's better than mine. I wanted to humorously evoke the "elitist" label other people attribute to the Forge, but "bourgeoisie" is a term *used* by elitists, not used *about* them. Forgentsia is thus more accurate.
John Laviolette
(aka Talysman the Ur-Beatle)
rpg projects: http://www.globalsurrealism.com/rpg

pete_darby

At this point, I would like to publically apologize for using the term "forgista" on RPG.net. It stuck for a week or so.

How a about the Forge Atristic / Recreational Talent Seekers? Are you one of the... hang on....

Forge United Church of Knowledge Seekers?

I'll go take my medication now...
Pete Darby

lumpley

I always call us Forge Monkeys.

-Vincent

brainwipe

Forgeoisie made me larf. Either that or the Forgensia.

Matt Snyder

I have, and forever will, refer to "us" as Forgers. It makes me positively gleeful.

Tough shit, Ron.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Mike Holmes

Ken Hite has had some good ones. I think I like Elves best. Like we're forging in a workshop at the north pole.

Forgistas is pretty good, Paul. Keeps us sounding rebellious.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Umberhulk

I'm surprised that no one has posted "Forger-ees"  yet ...

Gordon C. Landis

I thought I'd see if there was any cool underworld slang for "forger" - I'm afraid the best I found was the Victorian "Screever" - calling Forge-ites Screevers doesn't quite work for me.  But in my searching, I found a very interesting charcater by the name Monroe Edwards.  I realize it's not an uncommon name, but I'm imagining him as Ron's great-great-grand uncle or something anyway:

"Monroe Edwards is a real person, and the events of his life are more or less accurately documented. Born in 1803 or 1808, depending on the narrative one chooses to follow, he led an eventful life as forger, swindler, and slave trader. The accounts bristle with tales of schemes, treacheries, and escapes. In 1840, for example, he went to London and attempted, with forged letters, to gain access to Lewis Cass, then the American ambassador, and such luminaries as the Duke of Wellington, Lord Palmerston, and Sir Robert Peel. Unsuccessful in this project, he returned to America in 1841 and launched upon a grand scheme of fraud and forgery, using spurious letters of credit to defraud a number of banks of large sums, perhaps as much as fifty thousand dollars in all. But his plan was too complicated and he was arrested and brought to New York to stand trial in June 1842. At the time of his trial, and subsequently, a number of pamphlets appeared, outlining the case and purporting to give details of his life history.

"Found guilty, Edwards was given a sentence of ten years in the state prison at Sing Sing. He attempted to take his life. Then, as audacious as ever, he planned an escape which would involve his apparent drowning. In 1846 he worked out an imaginative escape plan, undertaking all its details himself, for it depended upon his old skills of forgery and fraud. He wrote letters with fictitious signatures, the first to a Charles Barnes, a subcontractor in the fire department of the prison. Barnes was asked to mail an enclosed letter, addressed to Daniel Webster. The letter to Webster requested a legal opinion on some matter, but, more importantly for Edwards, asked that Webster mail an enclosed letter to President James K. Polk. As the story continues,

The letter to the president purported to come from an intimate
 acquaintance of Monroe Edwards, who had powerful reasons for
 believing that the gentleman was entirely innocent of the charges for
 which he was then suffering; and it desired respectfully to know from
 the President, if the fact of that person's innocence should be manifest,
 whether he would not address a letter, over his own signature, to the
 Governor of the State of New York, requesting him to grant the
 unfortunate and injured man a pardon.

"Quite by accident, the scheme was discovered. According to the narrative, Edwards now became "subject to delirium" and died in the prison in 1847."

Gordon
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Anonymous

forge, forger, forgerino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

orbsmatt

Matthew Glanfield
http://www.randomrpg.com" target="_blank">Random RPG Idea Generator - The GMs source for random campaign ideas

Shreyas Sampat

Gee.
I usually think, "those geeks I talk geek stuff with." :)

joshua neff

Quote from: orbsmattForgeratos!

Or "Forgeradoes"...

Or "The Fantastic Forge"--"The World's Greatest RPG Site!"--"The House of Ideas!"

I've been reading too many '60s Marvel reprints...
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Alex Johnson

Gamesmith is the best.  But don't forget to put on your snootie hat and pronounce it "Four-szhay".

hix

<snort!>

Alex! Dude! You made it come out of my nose.

Steve.
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

Steve Samson

I'd like to offer to this little tongue-in-cheek lexicon the following terms:

Forgekin: A minor rank of annoying, impassioned, game-design-obsessed dork who reads The Forge and quotes the ideas found there to anyone and everyone he or she shares a gaming table with.

Forgespawn: A former Forgekin who has transformed their outlook from blind zealotry to a benign sense of superiority now that they actually understand some of the concepts they've been blathering about. At Forgespawn status a Forgekin's keyboard becomes enabled so that they are able to actually post instead of just lurking.

Forgelord: The upper echelon of the Forge foodchain, Forgelords are former Forgespawn who have actually finished a game and published it in some form. As such, they are held in awe by the Forgespawn and Forgekin. Forgelords possess the ability to consume lurkers and guests and transform their fading lifeforce into Really Good Ideas(tm). This explains the phenomenon of registered users who never make it to poster status. These Really Good Ideas(tm) are then consumed greedily by the Forgekin and Forgespawn, who proclaim them to be "forgealicious"!

-----

I could go on, but I think I've taken this WAY too far already. :)