News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Beer and munchies

Started by clehrich, April 04, 2004, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clehrich

Okay, so Walt's got a lampshade on his head at 2:30 in the afternoon, but most of the rest of us seem to be starting up slowly.  So my ultra-important gaming question is:

What do you eat during games?

Yeah yeah, pizza, I know.  Anybody get more creative than that?  Or idiosyncratic?

For one game I was in recently, my wife and I would go to this huge Asian (read: Chinese, mostly) supermarket near us and buy a small collection of weird cakes and munchies.  Squid-flavor crackers, sponge-cake with egg custard inside, Men's Poky (I can't resist the name), etc.  Other folks started to get into this concept, and would bring bags of sour-cream-and-onion pork rinds and other truly appalling things.

And then, yes, we'd actually eat them.

Furthermore, the best games I've been in have generally, at some point in the proceedings, moved from soda to beer or wine.  The worst game I was ever in, I discovered when this came up that only one other player ever drank alcohol at all, and he was the one who had to drive home.

So what do you snarf?
Chris Lehrich

Shreyas Sampat

Chinese food, generally.
We tend to combine our gaming with anime-watching, Charades, Pictionary, and chili parties... and when there's no chili (or Thanksgiving leftovers), Chinese takeout is so convenient. Indian takeout sometimes, too.

Lxndr

I keep trying to vote for Chinese, but it does seem to run 2-3 times the cost of pizza to feed a similar-sized crowd.  And that's not all that good for my current group, whose members seem, one and all, to be in some sort of financial pickle.  So, it's pizza and pizza and pizza.

Last group I was in, it was also pizza, but one of the players brought these little brownie-bites and some powdered-donut-holes every week.  Yum.  Really added a lot to the game, I thought.  I've considered starting that with my new group, but haven't gotten around to it yet (carring that stuff on a motorcycle takes some talent, assuming you don't want it popping open or breaking in your backpack).

I've played in games where the players drank beer/wine, but I'm a teetotaller.  I drink... water.  That's it.  Recently I actually drank some Kool-aid, which is out of the norm for me.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Jason Lee

Ha!  I mock you all. :)

We eat very well.  Every game session somebody cooks dinner for us all; we even had a schedule.

Here are our last few meals:

Chicken Alfredo Stir Fry
Kajaou
Tacos
Pizza
Chicken Alfredo
Creamy Chicken Soup
Tortellini
Fried Chicken & Mashed Potatoes
Okinomiyaki
White Lasagna

Hmm.... there has been a lot of chicken and cream sauce these last couple months.  Interesting.

The idea of drinking during game... never occurred to us.  Many of us don't drink at all, so that's not really all so suprising.
- Cruciel

Shreyas Sampat

We eat well too, when we can be bothered - it just isn't so frequent as every time we meet. We take turns making a big batch of chili, which is lovely because everyone does it differently; last time it was my turn, I used three different kinds of meat.

Jeph

There's a nice restaurant near downtown Raleigh called the Irregardless, run by a friend of the family. The owner lets us play in a back room, and we order normally with a slight discount for regular business. This is addedly convenient because half my group is Jewish and the Irregardless' kitchen is, like the owner, Kosher.

Identify the false sentence and win a virtual cookie.
--Jeff
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

Jason Lee

Quote from: JephThis is addedly convenient because half my group is Jewish and the Irregardless' kitchen is, like the owner, Kosher.

People aren't Kosher.  Give me a cookie.
- Cruciel

Jeph

Spirit over letter. DISqualified.
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

Jason Lee

Guarhhh!!!  

I was robbed.
- Cruciel

coxcomb

We had a teriyaki thing going for a while.
Jay Loomis
Coxcomb Games
Check out my http://bigd12.blogspot.com">blog.

Bob McNamee

One of the high points to my most recent games were large bowls of garlic hummus and pitas supplied by the hosts...

mmmmmmm
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

Clinton R. Nixon

I once rendered Matt Wilson, Yasha Cunningham, and Dan Root (dar) unconcious with a bowl of chili during a Sorcerer game. Two cans of Guinness, a boatload of smoked pablano chiles, and some cane syrup added up to near-death sleepy-chili.

Otherwise, I order pizza a lot, or eat chips and salsa. I'm sort of a dick about drinking at games, though - I've never once enjoyed it when I or others drank at a game.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Matt Wilson

QuoteI once rendered Matt Wilson, Yasha Cunningham, and Dan Root (dar) unconcious with a bowl of chili during a Sorcerer game. Two cans of Guinness, a boatload of smoked pablano chiles, and some cane syrup added up to near-death sleepy-chili.

Man, that chili was mad at the world.

Thurday UGAX is heavily pizza driven in the absence of Clinton's mean chili, with caffeinated beverages and the occasional beer.

Steven Bishop

I would have to say that the best food and game experience that I've ever had was with "Legend of the Five Rings."  I played in this game for a few years once a week and every week someone, if not all of us, would pick up some Thai food from done the road before we started to get us in the mood for a foreign styled game.  And if you don't know what "Legend of the Five Rings" (L5R) is than try to think of the culture of Japan, but place it on the main land where china is.

jrs

Since we game on Sunday afternoon and usually none of us have eaten lunch, some sort of meal is required.  Pizza is the default. I do like to cook, so if I have the time and opportunity, I'll perpare a meal.  Lately, it's been more pizza than home-cooking.  The menu varies based on my whim--from meatloaf to Boeuf à la Bourguignonne to Brunswick stew to a Thai duck and rice dish.  Many times the above will be served with beer or wine as appropriate.  

Julie