News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ever think about just chucking it?

Started by Guest, April 04, 2004, 07:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever think about saying "To hell with RPGs" and never playing again?

I know I have. I haven't played in what seems like forever. Even when I could, I just wasn't into it anymore.

Why does one continue to go to church when you nod off during the serom and leave right after?

Why does one stay with their spouse when they no longer even enjoy each others' company?

Why does one continue to roleplay?

What does one hope to get?

greyorm

Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

coxcomb

Quote from: greyormLaid.
Dude, if that's why you game, you should seek counselling!
Jay Loomis
Coxcomb Games
Check out my http://bigd12.blogspot.com">blog.

joshua neff

Quote from: coxcomb
Quote from: greyormLaid.
Dude, if that's why you game, you should seek counselling!

In my case, my girlfriend is in my gaming group, so getting laid is definitely a side effect of gaming for me. (I'm sure Mike Holmes didn't need to know that.)

No, I never think about chucking it in. I love RPGs. I mean, I seriously love them. My brain thinks of gaming stuff more than I think about writing, & I really like writing. (I mean, writing is hard, but very, very satisfying.) I love the social aspect of it, I love the cooperative aspect, & I love the physical act of rolling dice. There are a lot of things I'd give up before I'd give up gaming.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

greyorm

Heheh...Jay, I'm being facetious. I have four kids; by all accounts, I don't need to worry about getting laid, particularly not through gaming.

As for throwing in the towel on RPGs: yes, I've honestly considered it on and off. Once before, a number of years ago, was when my games -- both as player and gamemaster -- were becoming less and less enjoyable. Then I started understanding and working with Forge theory in actual play...uphill ever since.

Another time, more recently, was when I realized I wasn't going to be able to play all the different games I'd like to, and that I'm not gaming nearly as much as I want to be. I still mull over the idea that I'd almost prefer to just write fiction, but I like the idea of being surprised by the choices of the characters, and I wonder how much fiction would pale in comparison, since it would not be satisfying that.

Of course, that might just be my internal critic shouting the ridiculous at me: that I could never create anything as interesting as what my group as a whole comes up with.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

rafial

I did chuck it.  For years.

What got me back was stumbling across the Forge, which showed me there were folks out there who were excited about something other than "more D&D" and SGA (Seattle Gamers Assemble) which got me contact with an awesome bunch of folks right in my very own city who were eager to do something more than "more D&D".

Jonathan Walton

I definitely was getting ready to chuck it (or at least focus on other things for a while) before I found the Forge.  Now I'm ready to take on the world...

NPC Silent Bob

I chucked RPGs last year, and except for the occasional pick-up now and again, I'm pretty much done with the hobby. Gaming went from a great hobby to a laborious chore that I finally bailed. I don't know what this has to do with The Forge, but there you have it. Someone who has pretty much given up on the hobby.

Anonymous

I've been waffling on the issue.  So far, the fun payout is high enough that it keeps me interested.  Anytime I have to interact with "The Industry", though, it makes me want to throw it all away and never look back.  Seeing this economy of peers with their little agendas, getting all riled up about something that doesn't matter, etc.

My life goals changed a little, too.  If I turned to a life of nothing but game design and publishing... well, say I even got a job at WW, SJG or WOTC: At best, I can pray that I may get maybe 1/2 the salary and benefits that I enjoy now at my current job. No way.

And yeah, if it weren't for the Forge (and RPGNet), I'd probably have never found anything really cool that resonated with me to play.  Which probably would have caused me to eject from this hobby.

Andy Kitkowski

The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Mike Holmes

I thought about it once in 1983. Then I burned all of my D&D books and I was better again. Haven't looked back since. I've even made my peace with D&D.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.