News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Forge reads, watches, and listens

Started by Rich Forest, April 06, 2004, 05:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

M. John Harrison, The Pastel City.

Hidalgo

There was so much music at the seder last night I can't remember which song was last - somebody put on a Lyle Lovett cd, and the Pogues were on at one point, neither of which are anywhere in my music collection - but I do remember when we were telling the story at the dinner table and got to the ten plagues, I let my long hair out of my ponytail and gave an impromptu solo performance of Metallica's Creeping Death, complete with air guitar, to the general approval of the crowd.

Marhault

Book:  Skybowl by Melanie Rawn.  Currently working on Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.

Movie:  Amelie

Music:  Metallica's and Justice for All.  (last song would by "Dyers Eve")

Simon W:  Hell yes on the Tea Party!

Matt Snyder

Book: Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. A troubling little book.

Movie: Secondhand Lions. A flawed movie with some endearing aspects.

Song: Sunshine of Your Love by Cream. A really kick ass classic.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Christopher Weeks

Book - I'm not sure if I'm supposed to tell you the last book I finished or what I'm currently reading.  I'm in the middle of: The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (bedside table) by Robert E. Howard, Eric Meyer on CSS (desk), True Names: And the Opening of the Cyberspace Frontier (back of the toilet) by Vinge, et al, The Anger Management Sourcebook (shelves near the hot tub) by Glenn R. Schiraldi and Melissa Hallmark Kerr.  The most recent book I finished was The Great American Gun Debate: Essays on Firearms & Violence by Don B. Kates, et al.

Movie - Alien Resurection (not the first time I've seen it, but my wife bought me the nine-disc Alien Quadrilogy boxed set for Xmas...bless her heart.)

Song - I think we cut the disc off this morning right after Baby Beluga by Raffi.  The last adult song I listened to was Girl you Want by Devo.

Chris

Goutetsu

Book you read?
Just finished Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Somehow i've never picked that book up before, shame on me.

Movie you watched?
Secret Window starring Johnny Depp. Not bad, Not bad.

Song you listened to?
Hmm, I guess I had a Pantera cd still running in the car on the way to work this morning. (ahh, the good old days) I wasn't totally with it so I'm not sure which song was playing.

orbsmatt

Book
Computer Science for Java - don't get me started

Movie
Return of the King - again and again and again!  (Will the rush that I get from the horsemen smashing into the orcs ever get old?  I don't think so...)

Song
Uh... I was listening to a song from the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack.  Does that count?
Matthew Glanfield
http://www.randomrpg.com" target="_blank">Random RPG Idea Generator - The GMs source for random campaign ideas

Matt Wilson

book: second book of Dread Empire's Fall by Walter Jon Williams

movie: Hellboy

song: "Wouldn't Mama Be Proud," by the late *sniff* Elliott Smith

Ron Edwards

The latest ...

Book:
(first time read) In the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch, a set of essays on film editing
(re-read) Dykes to Watch Out For (all the books) by Alison Bechdel, one of my favorite comics

Movie:
(theater) Hellboy
(rental) Wild Things

Music:
(radio) Bell Bottom Blues by Derek and the Dominoes
(tape/CD) Modern Love by David Bowie

Best,
Ron

quozl

Book I last finished: The Eternal Footman by James Morrow
Book I'm reading now: The Republic by Plato

Movie I just saw in the theater: Return of the King
Movie I just rented: Life or Something Like It

Music I listened to in the past few days:
.rod laver
Project 86
--- Jonathan N.
Currently playtesting Frankenstein's Monsters

RDU Neil

Book: last finished Dance For The Dead by Thomas Perry... working my way through the first volume of the uncut Howard Conan stories.

Movie: Hellboy... really nailed the feel of the comic, and Abe Sapien was perfect

Song: Currently, "Shipbuilding" by Elvis Costello... whoops, just rotated into "Gloria" by Patti Smith   "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"
Life is a Game
Neil

quozl

Quote from: RDU Neil"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"

Is that a real song?  What are the lyrics?
--- Jonathan N.

RDU Neil

Quote from: quozl
Quote from: RDU Neil"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"

Is that a real song?  What are the lyrics?

Patti Smith, the punk rock Poet Laureate... she did a version of "Gloria"... you know G... L... O... R... I... A

Very first line of the kind of rambling discourse introduction is the line I quoted.

Off of her first album... Horses or you can find it on the soundtrack to Wonderland

Damn fine song
Life is a Game
Neil

ScottM

Book:
Destiny by Elizabeth Haydon (pretty good, last book of a trilogy that starts with Rhapsody)

Movie:
(rent)  LArceNY (ugh... more over the top than I prefer)
(theater) Ladykillers-- I'm not normally so harsh on movies, but another that wasn't very good

Music:
Natalie Imbruglia's Left of Middle (a favorite, though not top 5)
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

quozl

Quote from: RDU NeilPatti Smith, the punk rock Poet Laureate... she did a version of "Gloria"... you know G... L... O... R... I... A

Very first line of the kind of rambling discourse introduction is the line I quoted.

Off of her first album... Horses or you can find it on the soundtrack to Wonderland

Damn fine song

Thanks.  Accoring to Google, this must be the intro:

QuoteJesus died for somebody's sins but not mine
meltin' in a pot of thieves
wild card up my sleeve
thick heart of stone
my sins my own
they belong to me, me

people say "beware!"
but I don't care
the words are just
rules and regulations to me, me

Very interesting....
--- Jonathan N.

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: quozlBook I last finished: The Eternal Footman by James Morrow

Not to interrupt the flow, but, man, great book. James Morrow is in my top five favorite writers easily.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games