News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Reality Check - Money money money... $$$

Started by orbsmatt, April 06, 2004, 11:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbsmatt

How many people have actually made money from their indie-rpg?

And don't worry, I know that's not the actual purpose.  It's for the fun, right?

RIGHT?
Matthew Glanfield
http://www.randomrpg.com" target="_blank">Random RPG Idea Generator - The GMs source for random campaign ideas

clehrich

Oddly enough, considering that I haven't ever finished a game design, someone who read Shadows in the Fog decided to buy my book on Agrippa (for 87 smackers!), so I should realize about 50 cents from that.
Chris Lehrich

orbsmatt

That's cool.  It's always nice to see people take interest in what you are doing without you trying to get them to take interest.

It's quite satisfying.
Matthew Glanfield
http://www.randomrpg.com" target="_blank">Random RPG Idea Generator - The GMs source for random campaign ideas

orbsmatt

Matthew Glanfield

lumpley

Selling kill puppies for satan makes my hobby self-sustaining.  I went to GenCon on it last year, I buy games, dice, Legos on it.  But it's not like an income or anything.

-Vincent

Lxndr

Not yet.  But then, Fastlane hasn't actually gone on sale yet.  So I'm sort of the wrong person to ask.  I haven't made any money yet on the stuff I've put up for free, but then, that's not the point, is it?
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

orbsmatt

Quote from: lumpleySelling kill puppies for satan makes my hobby self-sustaining.  I went to GenCon on it last year, I buy games, dice, Legos on it.  But it's not like an income or anything.

??Ok...  I'll leave that one alone ;)

Quote from: LxndrI haven't made any money yet on the stuff I've put up for free, but then, that's not the point, is it?

Nope, it's not.  That's what I love about the roleplaying community.  Everybody helps everybody without thought of reward.  It's too bad that other communities weren't like that...
Matthew Glanfield

Lxndr

One of the free things I've made, Snowball, is going to be featured in a print publication (the No Press Anthology) and, in theory, I should be making some money off that, depending on how well it sells.  I forget how the whole pay-stuff is going to work for that, though.  Snowball itself will remain free for download forever-and-ever, though.  So I'm pretty close to making some money on an ostensibly free product.  Cool, huh?

My dream, such that it is, is to allow my game-design to sustain itself as Vincent's game does - enough to go to GenCon Indy and my local convention and, hopefully, pay for webhosting each year.  That's all I want, and the general feeling I get from the posts I've read here is that it's a best-case scenario.  

Between Fastlane and the Snowball NPA, it's possible, but who knows if it's probable?  But the nice thing is, every game AFTER this point that I develop and sell just makes it more probable.

Mike Holmes

I made money on Universalis. Sold out early to Ralph, so it wasn't big stacks of money, but I definitely came out ahead. Made for a good Christmas that year. :-)

And I intend to make a lot more, too. And not just on the NPA (which is going to sell unbelievably well).

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Clinton R. Nixon

I've once paid my car payment with my money from Donjon and Paladin, when I was unemployed and had just released it.

Since I've put Donjon into print in the last few months, PDF sales have skyrocketed. (I don't understand it either.) I sold more last month than any month besides its release. It usually ranges between beer money and a real good trip to the bookstore each month.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

montag

Quote from: Clinton R. NixonSince I've put Donjon into print in the last few months, PDF sales have skyrocketed. (I don't understand it either.)
I guess people expect you to go "Edwards" with them, hence the hurry. ;)
markus
------------------------------------------------------
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do."
--B. F. Skinner, Contingencies of Reinforcement (1969)

orbsmatt

Quote from: Mike HolmesAnd I intend to make a lot more, too. And not just on the NPA (which is going to sell unbelievably well).

What is an NPA?
Matthew Glanfield

Valamir

I've made pretty good money with Universalis.  More than enough to pay for print run and freelancer costs.

If you factor in all of the additional expenses that I charge to Ramshead (legitimate ones like GenCon costs and promotional stuff), I'm slightly in the hole, which is exactly where I want to be for tax purposes.

I'm more in the hole now paying costs for R&R, of course.

Lxndr

The NPA is the "No Press Anthology", a collection of a number of free games created by the Forgoisie.  Mike and I both have a game in there, along with several others.  I like to try to think of it as "NPA #1", because that way it implies the later existence of sequels.  

I expect the NPA to sell very well - unbelievably so, as Mike put it; what I don't know to expect is how much I'll be getting for each sale.  Currently I've just got an empty space on my little number-crunching spreadsheet for the NPA, with an entry saying "spent $40 on art".  

The equivalent section for Fastlane is more extensive, including projected sales prices, projected earnings per sale, etc.  (Since I don't mind putting these numbers in the public eye, I need to sell 81 PDFs, 66 printed books, or some combination thereof, to break even on the costs I've outlayed on Fastlane and Twisted Confessions, including webhosting for the next 12 months; I have no idea whether or not that number is attainable, but I have reason to hope)

Matt Machell

Quote from: orbsmattWhat is an NPA?

The Nopress Games Anthology: An amazingly cool compilation of cutting edge game design by truly talented designers. (This opinion may be biased)

It's not out yet, since it's still being edited and layed out. It was conceived here at the Forge and loads of the posters here have chipped in in one way or another.

It will rock.

-Matt

EDIT: Dang, cross posted with Lxndr