News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Name me a game that . . .

Started by Anonymous, April 07, 2004, 04:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

How this works: someone describes the type of game he wants to play, then someone else gives him the name of a published game which matches those criteria.

Me first: Name me a game that does fantasy medieval (or Renaissance) political intrigue where the characters are lords and ladies who've access to a lot of money and magic.

Rexfelis

Rexfelis

That post was by me, the registered Rexfelis.

(O! what an ass I am.)

Rexfelis

Andy Kitkowski

From what I understand, both Heroquest and Agone may suit your needs.  There was an excellent-looking supplement for D&D (!) released in the past 18 months about that sort of thing.  Statecraft? I forget.

My turn:

A game about otherwise average people who can enter the collective unconscious to access an unlimited wealth of human and ...other... knowledge, as if it were an Organic Matrix. They "sleep" (trance out), can go in, fetch info, come out in a few seconds and then proceed to perform weird human feats. When they sleep-sleep, they adventure in weird islands floating in the collective unconscious, where metaphor is reality, and dark other powers lurk.
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Rexfelis

Quote from: Andy KitkowskiFrom what I understand, both Heroquest and Agone may suit your needs.  There was an excellent-looking supplement for D&D (!) released in the past 18 months about that sort of thing.  Statecraft? I forget.

Thanks. Pretty sure Heroquest ain't it. Will check out Agone and the D&D thing.

QuoteMy turn:

A game about otherwise average people who can enter the collective unconscious to access an unlimited wealth of human and ...other... knowledge, as if it were an Organic Matrix. They "sleep" (trance out), can go in, fetch info, come out in a few seconds and then proceed to perform weird human feats. When they sleep-sleep, they adventure in weird islands floating in the collective unconscious, where metaphor is reality, and dark other powers lurk.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. There's no way a game fitting that description has already been done, right?

Rex

Marhault

The best I can think of is . . . Lacuna?

Although, you can always just use the Pool.

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: RexfelisThanks. Pretty sure Heroquest ain't it. Will check out Agone and the D&D thing.

I'd give Heroquest The Eye (mayeb ask around on the forum).  I'm thinking here, of course, "Use the Heroquest system and dump Glorantha". I haven't completely gotten my head around the system myself, but I know that all characters have access to magic, and I hear this a lot:

"Heroquest makes it so that characters with "Noble: 20" and "Long Sword: 20" are truly completely on equal footing".

That, to me, makes it sound like something that may be up your alley.

Note, sure any Generic-like game (FATE, Fudge, Action!, etc) might work, but I took your post to mean "Non-Generic Games".

QuoteJESUS FUCKING CHRIST. There's no way a game fitting that description has already been done, right?

Heh.

Well, I'm looking for more of a compatible system.  Something to emphasize the ability to immediately get lots of information, skills, and maybe even attributes instantly, without being a nightmare of number crunching....

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

montag

Quote from: Andy KitkowskiA game about otherwise average people who can enter the collective unconscious to access an unlimited wealth of human and ...other... knowledge, as if it were an Organic Matrix. They "sleep" (trance out), can go in, fetch info, come out in a few seconds and then proceed to perform weird human feats. When they sleep-sleep, they adventure in weird islands floating in the collective unconscious, where metaphor is reality, and dark other powers lurk.
Incarnate, Over the Edge or any Matrix-RPG might do the trick. No perfect matches, but perhaps worth a try.
(If this is accepted, I'd like to pass on my turn on to whoever comes along next.)
markus
------------------------------------------------------
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do."
--B. F. Skinner, Contingencies of Reinforcement (1969)

GreatWolf

Quote from: Andy Kitkowski
Well, I'm looking for more of a compatible system.  Something to emphasize the ability to immediately get lots of information, skills, and maybe even attributes instantly, without being a nightmare of number crunching....

Hmm.  Would Nobilis work?  Granted, it uses broad attributes, so if you're looking for specificity, I'm not sure that it would fly.  However, what you outlined sure sounded like it could (mostly) be the outline of a rocking Nobilis game.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

taalyn

Ooh! Crux can SO do that, Andy! Just define the Art (fairly simple. Naming it however...) and away you go!

I suppose that means I should hurry up and finish the dang thing.
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: montagIncarnate...

Has that game been released for human consumption yet?  Last I heard was "Still waiting to find some good printers..."

If so, link me!

montag

http://gregorhutton.com/incarnate/
seems they decided to drop the printer idea. ;)

markus
markus
------------------------------------------------------
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do."
--B. F. Skinner, Contingencies of Reinforcement (1969)

Andrew Norris

Neat... I'm actually running a D20 Modern game that uses that whole Collective Unconscious angle. I can therefore conclusively say that D20 isn't going to work for you. :) In practice we pretty much used Drama and Karma and kicked Fortune out the window, making those expeditions more of a collaborative storytelling situation. It worked for us because they're fairly rare compared to the 'real world' bits.

It'd be worth checking out Lacuna (http://memento-mori.com/lacuna/) for ideas, although the mechanics are very much tailored to what Jared's doing with that particular setting.