News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Couple of questions...

Started by Nev the Deranged, April 19, 2004, 12:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nev the Deranged

I've been going through the Sorcerer books, page by page, trying to put the information in an order I can more easily reference while running or playing a game... sort of a Sorcerer For Dummies handbook for those of us who have a hard time keeping track of the system from the way it's presented in the books (I know I'm not alone in this).

I've run across a couple of questions, only two of which I can remember at the moment.

1) On page 59 of Sorcerer, under the Rule of Need, is an explanation of how Demons waste away if their Needs are not met:
"at that point it will lose 1 Stamina per day unless it successfully rolls Power vs it's original Stamina"
But by the time a Demon starts losing Stamina, it's Power has already been reduced to 0, correct? So does this mean roll Original Power vs Original Stamina, or what?

2) On page 39 of & Sword, it says that scores over 4 grant 2 descriptors. In Sorcerer it's scores over 5. Is it lower when using the & Sword rules, or is that a revision and you should always use 4, or is it a typo and you should always use 5, or is it at the GMs discretion, or what?

A little clarification on these points would be cool... thanks ^_^

I think I may actually try to run the "training" game from the first book, just to acquaint myself with the system... I have a feeling vigorous playing is the only way to really get the feel for it, and also that it's going to be like one of those board games where every few turns you realize you were doing something the wrong way up until then; but I'm so confident that the system is a work of genius that I'm willing to go through this process. Assuming I can get players, that is.

Actually, I have more confidence in the system than in my GMing abilities, which are a good ten+ years rusty. *sigh*

6inTruder

#1 I'm no good for, but #2:
&S says "over 4"
S says "5 and over"

subtle, true, but not too bad.

Jason

Ron Edwards

Hi Nev & all,

Jason (6intruder) nailed the second one, so I'll do this one:

Quote1) On page 59 of Sorcerer, under the Rule of Need, is an explanation of how Demons waste away if their Needs are not met:
"at that point it will lose 1 Stamina per day unless it successfully rolls Power vs it's original Stamina"
But by the time a Demon starts losing Stamina, it's Power has already been reduced to 0, correct? So does this mean roll Original Power vs Original Stamina, or what?

Ummm ... OK, without the rules in front of me, I say that the demon would be forced to roll one die against its [Stamina + 1] the first day, then against its [Stamina +2] the second day, and so on. But that strikes me as stupidly picky - such lousy chances might as well be replace by saying, when Power hits 0, poof. So let me look at the rules and make sure that you're reading them right, and I'll take it from there.

Best,
Ron