News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A few random rules questions.

Started by sirogit, April 19, 2004, 07:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirogit

1. Is there any point to group-banishing? The way I read it, in order for the group to confer bonuses to the main sorcerer, they would have to make the banishing roll themselves, in which case they could just Banish the demon themself and come out none the poorer as Banishing doesn't have any reward for additional victories short of using it for a carry-over bonus on another action.

2. Can no bonuses/penalties apply to Humanity check rolls?

3. I've never played Sword&Sorcerer before, so I wouldn't know from personal expiereince, but does it ever get time-consuming to roll multiple times for extra descriptors and pasts for single actions?

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Quote1. Is there any point to group-banishing? The way I read it, in order for the group to confer bonuses to the main sorcerer, they would have to make the banishing roll themselves, in which case they could just Banish the demon themself and come out none the poorer as Banishing doesn't have any reward for additional victories short of using it for a carry-over bonus on another action.

Well, that's not a bad point if everyone has about the same totals for their [Humanity + Will], but consider the issue of several characters with very different values for their totals. Tactically, it makes more sense for the weaker ones to roll on the off chance that they'd succeed, and in so doing add to the stronger's chances. There's no penalty for failing a help-sorcery roll, you see, and if they failed a basic Banishing they just fail.

Besides, the bonus dice for the details of the helping-ritual announcements are almost always worth some great role-playing.

Quote2. Can no bonuses/penalties apply to Humanity check rolls?

No bonuses. Penalties, maybe, depending on the group's definition of Humanity and various details of their Social Contract. For instance, I might slap on a penalty to a Humanity check if a player suggested it and another player backed him or her up (note I am not specifying which one is the actual player of the character in question).

Quote3. I've never played Sword&Sorcerer before, so I wouldn't know from personal expiereince, but does it ever get time-consuming to roll multiple times for extra descriptors and pasts for single actions?

Nope. For one thing, it doesn't happen as often as everyone seems to think. For another, if you haven't played Sorcerer, it is unbelievable how short the handling time is for such a quantitative game.

Best,
Ron