News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ofuda, Blue Seeds, and Sorcerer Anime

Started by Bailywolf, December 28, 2001, 07:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bailywolf

Perhaps this is Demon Cop stuff, but I was watching an episode of the anime 'Blue Seed', and couldn't help but think of sorcerer... the whole thing seems like a perfect sorcerer/anime setting.

For those unfamiliar with the series, check out the following site, otherwise read on brave soul.

http://www.concentric.net/~Amagai/blueseed/

All the characters (with the possible exception of Kusanagi Mamoru) can easily be represented as starting mundane or niave sorcerer characters.  

Kusanagi is pretty powerful, and might better be represented as a demon himself, bound to guard the  Kushinada and empowered with 7 blue seeds, granting him abilities like Vitality, Boost, Armor, Speed, Travel, ranged and close up lethal damage attacks, and some shape changing powers.  I can't peg a good need for him, though, other than something simple like 'eating and photosynthesising'

Blue Seeds ("mitama") are either possessor demons (when embeded in animals, mutating them into plant-like aragami monster) or Parasites when lodged in human hosts (granting superhuman powers). Some might even qualify as object demons.

Several times in the series, the TAC crew use high-tech devices or chemicals to defeat ariagami... esentialy high-tech banishment.

And Yamazaki Sakura's rice paper charms (called "Ofuda", and typicaly inscribed with Buhddist or occult incantations) almost always summon up little spiritual monsters to help attack & bind aragami.  These could easily be object or inconspicuois demons tucked away until needed (with needs like "mystical chanting" or "blessed rituals") or the Ofuda might be tokens representing Pacts (come and attack when called forth, then vanish).

Anywho

If you like anime, check this series out.  Its internal mythology is quite neat, and provides copious material for an anime-style sorcerer game (and since all the main characters in the anime work for what amounts to a demon hunting outfit called TAC, it makes great Demon Cop material right from the box).

Bankuei

Being the anime fan, I can also recommend Shamanic Princess, which is filled with demons being used in duels, with some really cool summoning sequences, as well as Gasaraki, which is a tale of what happens when you mix ambition, corporate greed, and a few sorcerer's with the ability to summon a single entity of immense power.  Biobooster Guyver for parasite demons gone mad, Princess Mononoke for hate itself being a demon,.

I'm sure there's scads else out there, but that's a good mixture that's sure to inspire plenty of good demon ideas. :smile:

Chris

Ron Edwards

Hey, I'm with you all the way on this one. It was just this thinking that got me into writing Demon Cops.

Best,
Ron