News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Price was Right (Come on...er... Up?)

Started by Luke, May 18, 2004, 02:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taepoong

Abzu yelled at me and called my old sig "silly."

Luke

guys,

I do appreciate the input. I have already decided do something to scratch your itch for additional CBs.

But please consider my position as a small game publisher: I have a game which is contained in two books, I was able to afford a very small run of said books. Selling and keeping track of the set is a lot of work. Selling the books separately would engender a whole different set of problems. It simply wasn't feasible in the beginning.

At this point, it might, may be, possibly be more feasible, but it seems like more effort than it is worth. Right now, I need to focus on getting you folks complete games, solidly produced.

I'm in the home-stretch for the Monster Burner. After that, it's the Annual and the Revision. It never ends and my work here has just begun.

-L

PS There's a chance that there might be some extra CBs left after all is said and done. So some of you very well may get your wish.

madelf

Not that this has all that much to do with the issue you're dealing with now, but I am a bit curious...

Why two books in the first place? If they are inseperable, why not just make them one book?
Calvin W. Camp

Mad Elf Enterprises
- Freelance Art & Small Press Publishing
-Check out my clip art collections!-

Christopher Weeks

Luke, when you sold me BW last fall, I would have paid $20.  I would have passed at $30.  I don't know about the numbers in between.  At $20 it was worth it even if I never played because I'm one of the people who just reads games and considers it time well spent.

I'm really having a hard time seeing how it makes sense for you to take a loss on your product.  Unless you just like the idea that much.  When I read Ryan's comments about snatching food from the professionals, my first thought was to write you a check for a couple thousand just to support my preferred aesthetic -- the idea of these people making a steady living producing those big glossy-art filled tombs is at odds with what I value about art.  It would be worth something to me just to help fight that trend.  And then it occurred to me.  Just like I'd consider throwing dumb money after the pursuit of an aesthetic, maybe that's your deal too.  I wouldn't go distro at a loss.  I just wouldn't do it.  But if your personal (non business) goals include getting your game out to as many 'kids' as possible and you're willing to pay them a little to take it, then what the hell.  That's what money is for!

The question that I have is: will BW end up selling to stores and languising on the shelves or will it actually get played more?  I've seen your spiel a couple times now and played in a game that you ran.  You have to know that you are much more effective then Joe Random Shopkeeper at getting people to _play_ the Wheel.  And whatever your personal reasons are for being willing to take a loss, I don't think you want to do that just to get them onto some dusty shelves.

Chris

Andrew Morris

I agree with Chris. I would never have played Burning Wheel if not for you, Luke. You are, without a doubt, the most enthusiastic GM I've ever come across. I probably wouldn't have bought BW if I'd just seen it in a store, and that is important to note.
Download: Unistat

Rorimack

One of the reasons I bought this game was it's low prize.

(the another was your help with getting Fvlminata :))

Now, that I own them, I could imagine myself paying more for it, but back then I would hesitated if it was over $25 (maybe even if it was over $20.)

I can understand that you don't really feel like raising the price, but would  you do that if you could by giving "more" to your customers?

What I'm thinking of is a "dustcover" (one, in which both of the books could fit) which could be used as a paravan.

With it , you could raise your price by, let's say, $5. It is still not in the $25/$30 category, but you have not just raised the price, you have added an extra supplement too.

(I don't know about the developing/printing cost of such an item, but I feel that (especially if you could sell it separately too) even with an extra investment at the beginning, it could decrease your loss/help making profit)
Balazs

MarktheAnimator

ok,
So why not break the book into two or three books, add lots of cool stuff to these, and raise the price?

That way, you could increase the price without alienating your customers because there is more cool stuff in the new revised edition.  

The new revised edition should have lots more cool ideas and rules.  Those who bought the book before will want to buy the new version to get at all the new cool ideas and rules.

When the book is broken down into two or three separate books, you can still offer it at fairly low prices because your print costs will be less.  So offer two or three books at $20.  

Take the old version and put it into a pdf file and sell it online for those still interested in the old "outdated" system.  

If you want to generate sales you could simply give away the old version.  Any new player could try it for free.  Since it would be outdated, they would still have to buy they book to play with all the cool new ideas and rules.

Also, if the game is fun, it should sell at any price.

Just a few ideas.
"Go not to the elves for cousel, for they will say both yes and no."
        - J.R.R.Tolkien

Fantasy Imperium
Historical Fantasy Role Playing in Medieval Europe.

http://www.shadowstargames.com

Mark O'Bannon :)

Luke

Hi Mark,

thanks for your input. If you get a chance you should take a look at the Burning Wheel.

Moderator? I'd request this thread closed. Thanks!
-L

Ron Edwards

Closed, folks, at Luke's request.

Best,
Ron