News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How to play Uni on IRC ?

Started by Azmodan, May 20, 2004, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azmodan

I ordered Uni two weeks ago and I suppose I will get it really soon.  I plan to play a game on IRC.  I was wondering which rule modifications are needed.

Turn can easilly be taken in alphabetical order.  Numbers of coins can be showned in the nickname, Azmodan[25] for instance.  But I'm still wondering how you can secretely bid for framing a scene...

And is there other stuff I didn't tought ?

Mike Holmes

Huh, I did a search here, but couldn't find anything. Despite knowing that we've already discussed this before. Hmmm.

Anyhow, to go over it again, there are a couple of changes. You've already figured out the nick as coin tracker method. For scene bidding we've done a couple of things. One is just to have the player who closed the previous screen bid first, and just go around requiring larger bids if you want to try to take control. That works pretty well. Also, if there's a neutral party available, we've tried privately messaging that person with the bid. But that seems to be a tad too complicated in terms of the protocols needed. Then there's the timing method, where players all write that they're ready, someone says "go" and everyone types their bid in as fast as they can on the honor system.

These all work, really, as "cheating" on bidding is just not somthing that I'd expect to see.

What am I forgetting, guys?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Bob McNamee

That seems to be all the methods I remember seeing used in our IRC play, too Mike.

The most common for the indie-netgamers seems to be the "last scene framer, then alphabetical bidding higher method".

There are usually only a few out of the whole group that really want to bid on any specific new scene.
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!